Early this morning in Rockport Harbor, Maine.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
A friend took this a few minutes ago. This is Scott at the bait shed down in the harbor. He opened today so somebody must be fishing. Social distancing in Maine is a way of life for many. The hammerhead shark is rubber and has been hanging longer than I can remember(in case you're wondering).
Scott at the bait shack in the harbor. .jpg

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I duuno... the thing in the chair looks kind of artificial, too.;...

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Thanks @TomY I remember that shark from each summer! Maine, the way life should be!

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
This is Scott
Just soaking up the sun, smelling the water, having a coffee, solving all the worlds problems. I’m guessing all the locals realize that’s Scott’s chair! ;)

Last edited:

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
I duuno... the thing in the chair looks kind of artificial, too.;...
Haha! Surprisingly, he's the real deal. After living here for over 20 years the only thing I assume anymore about the people is, you want find anybody that looks like this:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Haha! Surprisingly, he's the real deal. After living here for over 20 years the only thing I assume anymore about the people is, you want find anybody that looks like this:

But there are plenty that sound like this:
Ayuh - means yes, or at least acknowledgment from a Mainah.
Bah Hahbah - Bar Harbor pronounced by a Mainah - you see "er" is pronounced ah... "r's" dont get a lot of love in Maine
Beans or the Beanah - LL Beans' famous store - you go to Beans or the Beanah to get yourself some new Beanah boots... drop the LL to sound like a local
Bob Marley - a wicked funny Maine comedian and humorist, Maine loves him more than the grass smokin, peace pledging Jamaican of the same name
Cah - this is a car...
Camp - a Maine summer home, ski house or hunting lodge, you go Upta camp where there is no wee-fee, cell service, etc.
Chowdah - delicious Maine soup of white cream usually chock full of clams or lobster
Clammin - digging for mussels or clams
Cunnin - cute or adorable
Deah - a four legged animal with antlers - deer, smaller than a moose but still good huntin, fill ya freezah all wintah
Down East - by definition: heading up the Maine coast beyond Boothbay, not actually down geographically
Fay yah - a Fair or festival of farm animals, rides, craft and fried dough, The Fryeburg Fair for example. Fay yah's are often held in the summah but some are in the fall
Flatlander - visitors from away, usually Massachusetts (aka: mass-holes)
Hahbah - a cove off the ocean, like Bah Hahbah, or Cape Porpoise Harbor.
4 Wheelah
- an ATV with four wheels, a Maine toy in all season, best enjoyed muddin and 4wheelin upta camp
Lobstah - singular, plural, just leave off the R, and don't ask why they aren't red if they haven't been cooked yet
Maahhden's - The Maine salvage & surplus store - Mardens - where you find wicked good bahgains on a whole mess of stuff. One man's factory reject is another man's treasure. Stick around long enough and you too will soon be sing-in, "I should of bought it - when I saw it - at Maahden's."
Reny's - same thing as Marden's, and you can get Caahahts here too - everyone in Maine wears Carharts - their indestructible, flame retardant work pants, don't ya know...
Snomachinin - going snowmobiling upta camp
UptaCamp - when you go to your other more rustic place, a camp or cabin on a lake or the coast.

Wicked - an exclamation - wicked good chowdah, wicked cold, wicked hot, wicked some awful weathah..
Wicked Pissah - an extreme emphasis on how shockingly extraordinary something is.
"You can't get theya from heah" - a Mainer's disinterest in providing you directions...
Maine Slang and Accents - Ayuh!

I've met plenty of people livin' in Maine who aren't even from theya, yet they're compelled to take on the accent.

-Will (Dragonfly)

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Tom,

I saw this announcement from Hamilton Marine

1584561355623.png

How are you guys holding out up there?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Tom,

I saw this announcement from Hamilton Marine

How are you guys holding out up there?

Yikes! I was actually in Hamilton Marine-Rockland this morning. It's one of the few retail businesses still open in the area.

Many of the people in our area work in the food service/hospitality industry : they're all mostly all laid off today.

We're a tourist economy that runs on rental beds: Most all B&B, Air B&B's, hotels, Inns, summer rentals are being asked to return deposits (that are already spent). Wanna roll the dice on an August rental?

All the schools were already closed and the Gov' closed all restaurants and bars today at 6 pm.

The virus hasn't affected many up here yet (but it will-hopefully on a gradual demand) but the global self imposed recession if full on.

Hope you're well Steve, thanks for asking.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
We hope to get up there this Summer -- but who knows? We're in uncharted territory.

Many of the experts say this is not going to end so quickly. Until we have a vaccine and we've got it, it's going to strict, restricted living. A vaccine in quantities is (at best) many months away. I'm four months from wanting to leave Annapolis to head north (and east).

UFB what's happened.

You guys stay safe. How are your kids doing in their homes away from home?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
We hope to get up there this Summer -- but who knows? We're in uncharted territory.

Many of the experts say this is not going to end so quickly. Until we have a vaccine and we've got it, it's going to strict, restricted living. A vaccine in quantities is (at best) many months away. I'm four months from wanting to leave Annapolis to head north (and east).

UFB what's happened.

You guys stay safe. How are your kids doing in their homes away from home?
You'll want to check destinations. Right now, North Haven Island isn't allowing anyone onshore that doesn't live on the island. They may not have the legal right but are trying anyway. Mainland will probably be fine but islands might have restrictions. Some can only treat one or two people at the best of times. I wonder how islands like Nantucket and MV are planning for their residents with limited resources?

Kids are great and working out of Boston and NYC, at home. They're lucky they can do that (MJ has to check on projects in Manhattan which are still running).

We're all well and not that much affected, luckily. I work alone so still busy.

I'm more concerned with younger families and life in general for the more vulnerable. A whole part of the economic engine has been torn out. How is that going to worK?

We have many skilled people in the medical profession and they're helping the community to do what we can to minimize the effects. Hopefully this strategy(flattening the curve), will work.

It's very strange, indeed.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
A friend took this a few minutes ago. This is Scott at the bait shed down in the harbor. He opened today so somebody must be fishing. Social distancing in Maine is a way of life for many. The hammerhead shark is rubber and has been hanging longer than I can remember(in case you're wondering).View attachment 176107
Is the name of that smack...ORCA ?

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
My daughter is visiting her husband who works on Grand Cayman Island. The have had (as of yesterday) only one COVID-19 case on the Island. Unfortunately that one patient, an older Italian gentleman, was offloaded from a cruise ship in the harbor. He was taken to hospital with what was thought to be a cardiac issue. When they figured it out, it was too late. He passed away. The only hospital on the Island, and it's staff were contaminated. The hospital was immediately closed. They are closing the airport on Sunday to all outbound flights. I don't don't know if they are allowing any more inboard passengers. My daughter is flying out on Saturday.

My daughter is based in Phoenix and works all over the Western US with projects in a number of states. She's used to working remotely, but will be limited in actually going to meetings.

My son works in San Francisco for a site utilities contractor. Even though the City is "shut-down", their services are essential. He has crews doing underground work throughout the City. His kids are home now, his wife is works remotely from home.

My grandson is firefighter and EMS type in Austin, TX. Obviously, his interactions are in the category of "do the best you can, but do your job"....

UFB times.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
summer rentals are being asked to return deposits (that are already spent).
Yes.
We were planning on being in Barcelona right now but everything was canceled on us. A couple of the AirBnB hosts don't want to return our payment. I get it, but we paid for a rental and weren't allowed to collect on our half of the deal. We also have an AirBnB rental, but we keep it set at free cancellation. No conflict for us. It doesn't matter who's fault. They get their money back. It's harder when there is no chance to re-rent.

When we had to cancel our Spain plans, my son was determined to find somewhere else we could go. He found Lima Peru. We said no. It's not a good time to go anywhere right now. He and his girlfriend went anyhow.

He was sending us pictures and descriptions of all the great sights and trying to get us to join him.

Another time.

A text came that said the president of Peru closed the country and they would be stuck there for the next two weeks.

We said, get an AirBnB and get a few weeks worth of groceries.

He said, not to worry, everything's fine. They are closing the bars, but the bodega on the corners are all staying open.

We said, don't count on it.

He said, don't worry.

Then,

The military rode through the streets with bull horns telling everyone they had 24 hours, then a house to house lock down would commence.
:facepalm:

I get an extra week to get our business going better and maybe I'll have extra time to spend on my boat.

-Will (Dragonfly)