E29 Head Redesign

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tim

I own a 1971 Ericson 29 that, overall, I am very happy with. There is one area of the design I am less than thrilled with. The miniscule head is to starboard while a hard to reach storage closet is to port. Behind this to port is a shelf and part of a seat that runs behind the closet. The head is tiny, I am 6 foot 2 and it is hard to use. I have to contort myself to reach the storage closet and the bench behind is never used since there is nowhere for legs. I am sure it is meant to allow another berth but not much use in my typical day sailing. Please comment on my plan. - Move the head to port, this is the big part. Cut out the bench and then install bulkheads to section off that entire area to make a full size head. Room for the potti and probably a small sink. Definitely room for a small storage closet for potti related gear. - What was the head now becomes a storage area. Would make it an open front with shelves on which would be tupperware containers that can slide out and be removed. Labels on the front of each to know what is in each. I lose a berth but gain a much more comfortable head and better storage. With this I still have berths for 4. I am rewiring the boat now also so want to do this all at once. Thanks.

E

Ericson29inLA

Ericson 29 re-wiring

Tim,

I noticed that you mentioned your next project is wiring for your Ericson...

I just bought my E29 (1972) & the former owner tossed in a radio & 4 speakers but didn't have time to hide the wiring. I'm new to boats & find it difficult to figure out where to put the wires. It's obvious to me how to run wires behind the headliner panels (where the lights & outlets are mounted)...but I don't see an easy way to cross over the campanion-way entry area.

Any insights would be appreciated...thanks!

Kelvin

T

Tim

Wiring

Kelvin, I would say it depends on where the stereo is located. I have not done my wiring yet but can share my plan.

I also plan to put a stereo and speakers in. Plan is to mount the stereo in the galley area along with the VHF and electrical panel. From there I have an easy run down the port side behind the headliners. For the starboard side would just need a longer run around through the aft and then behind the headliner panels.

Hope that helps, this is what I am planning anyway.

Good luck and enjoy your E29, I know I love mine!

K

kelvin5150

Wiring

I'm going over today to see what I can figure out...fortunately I live 5 minutes from the marina & my wife loves the boat as much as I do...so it's been easy to get over there on the weekend and sometimes after work.

I was looking aft as well as my best bet. Just not sure if there were any tricks or things to avoid. I'll let you know how it goes. First of many projects...just a primer to get the pump flowing!

Thanks for your reply...Good luck with your project as well!

Kelvin

Status
Not open for further replies.