E-scooters

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Anyone else have an e-scooter on board? We have two of these, a Xiaomi M365, and one that's just like it. They easily fit into the dinghy, and are a lot of fun, and quite useful ashore, in places like Cuttyhunk, Edgartown, Block I., etc.

New to this, so haven't charged them onboard yet, which makes me kinda nervous. Was thinking of getting or making waterproof bags to just leave them in the dinghy, which we tow, and making a harness to charge them there.

Thoughts?

p.s. also researched locks, and decided on a couple of Kryptonite Evolution 1090 Series 4 with Integrated Chain, on the strength of the Lockpicking Lawyer's recommendation (see youtube). They're not cheap, but probably the most secure option. And then bought a couple of bar-mount bags to hold them when we're riding.

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
The wife and I use jetson bolt pro e bikes (at MV and BI). They fold up small and were under $300 at costco. I modified them so I could double the range and remove the batteries for charging. I charge onboard and never had a problem but charging in the dinghy is definitely a safer option as long as it's dry.

degas

Aug 14, 2023
Tanzer 29 Lake Ontario
After giving up on a folding bicycle because it was too heavy and awkward for my cockpit locker, I replaced it with a folding escooter, a GoTrax XR Ultra. It definitely isn't the fastest and it definitely has a short range, but it's the smallest one I could find. I keep it in my cockpit locker. I have to charge it with shore power or on land. I looked but couldn't find an escooter that could be charged with 12V.

I'm really happy with it. I think I've already paid it off with savings from bus and taxi fare.

For a lock, I got an Abus ulock. Its advantage is that both ends of the U are locked by the key. A thief has to cut both sides to get at the scooter. Ok, that only adds another 60 seconds to the act of theft, but I follow the "make it less attractive to steal than your neighbour's escooter" school.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I can charge onboard even at anchor as I have an inverter, fortunately.

I got a lock recommended by one of my favorite youtube guys, the Lockpicking Lawyer. It's a Kryptonite Evolution Series 4. I got the 3' variant.

I got a handlebar bag to carry the lock and other things. It's kind of a hard shell bag with a zipper closure.

I also got waterproof storage bags for the scooters, so I can keep them in the dinghy, even while towing it.

What's next? A trailer? Ha, ha.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Lock:
[868] Why I Use This Lock On My Bicycle - Kryptonite Evolution Chain Lock (Series 4)

[731] Kryptonite Evolution Series 4 Chain Lock Picked

On the other hand, the inexpensive, combination lock cable locks are near useless; you can easily cut the cable with a bolt cutter, which most pro thieves carry; and, the combination lock can be "picked," i.e., defeated, with near zero skill, no tools, and a minute or two. (I've done it on my own locks, which I've stopped using.)

I was thinking that when towing I'd lock the two scooters' rear wheels to the lifting rings on the inside of the transom of the dinghy. Maybe I should lock the outboard, too! Ha, ha.