Dyneema lifelines on Hunter 36

AndyL

Jun 23, 2020
Hunter 36 Rock Hall
I am planning jobs without being able to see the boat :( Lifelines need replacing and I thinking of going with Dyneema. But I am trying to remember if the shrouds and lifelines touch around midships. I think they do. If so, chafe seems likely to be a big issue.

Has anyone done Dyneema lifelines on a 36? Can anyone confirm if the lifelines and shrouds touch?

Thanks,
Andy

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Andy, The lifelines should not contact the shrouds. Does not matter what material you use. If your lifelines are touching then you need to correct the stanchions so that does not happen.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Andy, The lifelines should not contact the shrouds. Does not matter what material you use. If your lifelines are touching then you need to correct the stanchions so that does not happen.
Right. And even if they did a biut of nylon tubular webbing at the point where they touched would probably be sufficient chafe protection.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Andy, go over the Yachtworld and look at the Hunter 36 boats that are listed. Lots of photos to look at to see lifeline vs shrouds.

Sep 22, 2009
Hunter 36 Seattle, WA
Has anyone done Dyneema lifelines on a 36? Can anyone confirm if the lifelines and shrouds touch?

Thanks,
Andy
Andy, I just replaced my lifelines on our 2009 H36. Used stainless steel. The shrouds come close to the lifelines, but do not touch them on my boat.

AndyL

Jun 23, 2020
Hunter 36 Rock Hall
Thanks everyone. I did see some pics online but they are typically not high enough resolution to show that detail. I can see they are close, as stuartsw mentioned. Neither the survey nor the rigging inspection said anything about stanchion issues, just lifeline corrosion, so probably all good.

AndyL

Jun 23, 2020
Hunter 36 Rock Hall
Andy, I just replaced my lifelines on our 2009 H36. Used stainless steel. The shrouds come close to the lifelines, but do not touch them on my boat.
Can I ask whether the top lifeline goes outside or inside the shrouds?

Update: I tried looking at pictures online. It's hard to see as most are too low resolution, but it seems that the top lifeline may go inside the shroud. On mine, it has been routed outside the shroud and the result is that it touches.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
Andy, Normal routing of lifelines is outside shrouds. Sometimes stanchions are grabbed to "save the boat" from hitting the dock, or pulling the boat back to the dock. :yikes:

This boat saving technique usually results in "bending the stanchion" or worse "disrupting the bedding seal" designed to keep water outside of the deck core.

Check the stanchions are "vertical" and that they are properly bedded (I like to use "Bed-It Butyl Tape" for this task).

You want to be able to pull up on the lifelines to pull your body down to the deck as you move forward. This means the lifeline needs to be able to move a bit. Rubbing up against your shroud will create chafe.

Good Luck

AndyL

Jun 23, 2020
Hunter 36 Rock Hall
Thanks for the reply. There is no obvious bend in the stanchions and it is the same on both sides, which doesn't mean they aren't both bent but is another factor to consider.

I have been looking at more pictures online and am pretty confused. It is struggle to find good resolution images but, that said, I think I've seen examples with just about every combination of upper and lower lifelines inside or outside the shrouds.

Here is a good image showing them both inside (this claims to be a 2004 36 like mine, but has all the winches under the dodger???): https://specialty-yachts.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/20200418_102229-scaled.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
The image shows the lines inside with space between the lifeline and the shroud. The shroud is to the outside of the toe rail. The chainplate attached to the hull. That is a good structure. Plenty of room to walk up the deck inside the shroud.

When the chainplates are inboard of the toe rail they attach a bulkhead. The shroud interferes with your passage up the deck. In that arrangement the lifeline is outside the shroud.

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
Have a 356 which is practically the same and am in the process of running lifeline netting on my boat for a small dog and removed the upper lifeline to re-run it as the PO had run the lifeline to the outer side of the shroud although it was resting on it. Run to the inside there is clearance and it can be snugged up a lot better.
IMG_20210502_104536247.jpg

AndyL

Jun 23, 2020
Hunter 36 Rock Hall
Thanks for the picture. I am running mine now and they seemed to touch both inside and outside so still debating the solution. There is some play in my stanchions - the baseplate is solid and the bolts are tight, so I wonder if the stanchion is slightly too big or has become that way over time. I see some inserts for sale, for matching old and new parts - I'm wondering if they would help me.

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
Thanks for the picture. I am running mine now and they seemed to touch both inside and outside so still debating the solution. There is some play in my stanchions - the baseplate is solid and the bolts are tight, so I wonder if the stanchion is slightly too big or has become that way over time. I see some inserts for sale, for matching old and new parts - I'm wondering if they would help me.
My stanchion bases are solid yet there is still a little play even though the screws are tight. Run to the inside and snugged up that will give you a little more clearance.