DXpeditions from long ago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 30, 2012
Flush deck Hartley 38 Sydney
Hi everyone,
We are new around here, call sign KB7NW, but we are long in the tooth when it comes sailing and operating a ham. And that's what I wanted to mention, that we used to do Amateur Radio DXpeditions years and years ago.
Probably not many here are interested in DX, but for sheer excitement, nothing beats a ham expedition to lonely dollops of sand barely awash.

On our website is a story of going out to Sprately in the South China Sea. You may have heard it mentioned in the news of late. It's still claimed by 5 nations and was even when we went out to set up a ham radio station in 1981. I won't give away the punchline. But sailors died. Not us! Of course!

Running Scared at Sprately

We also went out to Kingman Reef , Palmyra, Mellish Reef, Willis Is. and the Tokelaus. All big time DX countries when we set our stations. If any ones interested, next time I'll post some photos.

Cheers from Australia

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Jack
Brings back lots of memories. I was an avid Dx'er especially in those days and still am albeit relegated to a neighborhood with antenna restrictions. I knew Harry quite well and Bill P. was a member of the same club I belonged to and we used to have a weekly lunch meeting when the subject of DX was always the main topic.

We probably worked you numerous times in those days.

73, Don K1VSK

Status
Not open for further replies.