Dutchmen and Clean Sails

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Peter Milne

My sails have been soiled in large part by the three control lines of the Dutchmand system. The three cutouts on the sail cover allow water, dust etc. to seep down along the control lines staining the sail. I'd like to have the sails cleaned before next season, but before I do are there any tips or ideas out there in terms of avoiding this problem in the future? Thanks in advance and happy new year to all! Peter Milne S/V Blue Heron

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Take Sails off for Winter

What we do to prevent or reduce mildew of the sails is to take them off each fall around mid October and store them in the house. It really varies when we put them on again in the spring but it's a function of personal schedule, temperature, rain, and when we do the haulout. Sails are put on anywere between March and, for one year, even July (it was a wet-er year). This is, after all, the northwest. My preference is to have the sails off during the haulout to avoid the boatyard dust but this is not always possible. We also take the dodger off. A couple years ago we bought new sails so the idea was to use the old sails for the winter and save the new white sails for summer. The old sails need to be recut so they're flatter for the off-season winds. The good part about this is the new sails stay looking like new. For cleaning the sail cover and the dodger we don't use soap or detergent as this actually makes mildew grow back even quicker. Rather, we use just plain water. It's been recommended that Ivory flakes be used which we did once or twice before going back to plain water. To maintain the sails we hose them down with fresh water to get salt and dirt off. This is not as effective as a professional cleaning service but it doesn't remove the chemical material (forgot what it's called) that sail cloth manufacturers put in to prevent sail cloth wear and help sails retain their shape. Don't have an answer to the black stuff from the line wear except to take a rag with some stove alcohol or acetone and try rubbing it off. We've done this with marginal success.

D

Don Alexander

There is nothing you can do to get rid of the mark

Hi Peter, I had the same problems as you with my Dutchman system. The surface of the cloth goes black when rubbed by the vertical lines and the sailcloth fibres are changed. After cleaning the marks remain and it is not dirt. Soon you will also have permanent marks where the sails fold every time you stow them plus other marks where they contact the mainsheet blocks. The black plastic material of the Shaeffer blocks seems to transfer to the sail. Oh then any oil in the blocks gets onto the sail too. I have abandoned the Dutchman after three years and a spoiled mainsail and have now made a sailcoat and lazy jack system combined. Now I zip up the sail every time we go into port. It is much tidier and the sail is protected against UV. Previously it was too much bother to fit the cover with all its fiddly zippers over the Dutchman lines etc. Wish I had the benefit of this advice three years ago. If you want to preserve the looks of your sail do not delay in changing. Most UK sailmakers have been supplying these sail covers for many years and they now seem to be catching on in your country too. I have never seen a Dutchman supplied as original fit on a UK made boat. Regards, Don

D

Dick McKee

I think I have a solution for you Peter

On our 430 I use a plastic funnel with the neck part filled with silacone. When the silacone hardened I slit the funnel and silicon with a sharp razor blade to allow the line form the Dutchman to be placed in the funnel. I then slip the funnel over the line and down against the sail cover. This causes the rain and mositure to flow over the funel and not into the sail. Fortunately the only marks I have on our sail is from water running in to sail. I'm going to be using Sail Care (Sailcare.com) to clean them this winter.. Dick McKee S/V Constellation

C

Cliff Carter

Info On Dutchman System Needed!

Peter, We purchased a 1977 C30 this fall which we believe has the Dutchman system on it however have not been able to find anyone around who is familiar with it. Would you give me an e-mail so I can learn a bit about this system. BTW our sail appears to be in good condition and we do not have the discolouring problem. We have a UK sail cover over the boom and sail. e-mail: ccarter@pacificcoast.net

C

Cliff Carter

Info On Dutchman System Needed!

Peter, We purchased a 1977 C30 this fall which we believe has the Dutchman system on it however have not been able to find anyone around who is familiar with it. Would you give me an e-mail so I can learn a bit about this system. BTW our sail appears to be in good condition and we do not have the discolouring problem. We have a UK sail cover over the boom and sail. e-mail: ccarter@pacificcoast.net

M

Mark Johnson

Call Dutchman directly at

(203)838-0375. They are located in Norwalk, Connecticut.

M

Mark Johnson

Call Dutchman directly at

(203)838-0375. They are located in Norwalk, Connecticut.

Status
Not open for further replies.