Dutchman System with Loose Footed Main

Apr 25, 2021
Catalina 30 Belmont Harbor Chicago
We cannot seem to get our dutchman system to work on a loose footed main, it never seems to fold right, we have even tried tying the bottoms of the dutchman lines around the boom (terrible idea). Any tips? The idea is to get boat ready for single handed sailing because I now have a 1 year old daughter that is keeping my wife's hands pretty full. All working lines go to cockpit already.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

Photos might help. In the meantime, suggest referring to this article Dutchman System - MyBoatsGear.com on setting up a dutchman system and mainsail modifications to confirm your setup is as described OR consult a sail maker that has good experience with the Dutchman system and ask to see if they have one they can show you. Incorrect layouts will hinder performance. If the sail is laid out correctly and installed correctly, you will have a wonderful system.

Post #18 has a loose footed main with a dutchman system so might send him a PM. Mainsail, Loose / Fixed foot? | Sailboat Owners Forums

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
This is from the article SFBAY posted:
"One of the most important details is to make sure the topping lift and vertical Dutchman filament lines become taught at the same time. Without this the sail will not flake properly."
Second to this is that the control lines MUST be vertical or slightly forward of vertical when dropping, if they run to the rear at the topping lift they don't work.

Apr 25, 2021
Catalina 30 Belmont Harbor Chicago
Thank you! I’m going to make sure the topping lift is right. Outhaul is super tight. Apparently I have to drop it fast too. Line of sight shows lines are vertical, a little trouble with sail being higher than topping lift line and thus requiring slack in the Dutchman when sail is up, making it hard for the lines to be tight when sail are about to come down...despite boom dropping once off tension from sail.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Have had a love/hate relationship with Dutchman system for many years. Once properly adjusted, it works great on a standard main but the effort to get to that point can sometimes be tedious. I cant imagine any scenario in which it could work well on a loose-footed main. You are fighting a losing battle until you eliminate the boom slop.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I have a slightly different view of the Dutchman. Our 44 DS has an enormous main and associated boom. I installed the Dutchman to prevent the possibility of what is known as a "flying jibe", where the boom swings over to the other jibe. That happened once to us the first year we owned her, prompting me to install the Dutchman. Never repeated the flying jibe.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
OP is talking about the dutchman furling system, not the boombrake..... Had the dutchman furling system on our 29.5 loose footed main, as has been said if adjusted correctly it works well.
I have the dutchman boombrake on Escape and it's great! well designed and works well.

Apr 24, 2005
Catalina 270 Lake Guntersville
I have a Catalina 270 with a Dutchman flaking system. When I replaced my mainsail a couple of years ago, I didn't specify loose footed but find that I I don't put the foot rope in the boom slot the sail shape is better in light air so I run it loose footed. It doesn't flake as well as the old sail but works quite well. The only thing I can think of that hasn't already been mentioned is to make sure your outhaul is tight before you drop your main

Capn BIll

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I had a Dutchman system on my Mark 25 (C&C 25) decades ago. It wasn't loose footed. I am having trouble imagining how the system would work on a loose fitted main. So my question is: Are the Dutchman attachments still on the boom? Or are they somehow attached to the foot of the sail?

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
So my question is: Are the Dutchman attachments still on the boom? Or are they somehow attached to the foot of the sail?
They are sewn to the foot of the sail, bolt rope foot also has them sewn to the sail but looks more like attached to boom. I've dropped with a little slack in the outhaul (~4-5") without a problem. The foot lays down on the boom when head to wind just from gravity. The control lines shouldn't be tight enough to pull the foot up.