Dumb electrical question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2004
- - Buffalo, NY
I want to install a 12 volt outlet on the side of the coaming near the lazarette for a tiller pilot. My outboard has a 6 amp. charging system that connects to a terminal strip (enclosed in a box)in the lazarette and the battery cables attach to the same strip. I am wondering if I can just tap off the terminal strip in the laz, or should I run new wires from the battery. Seems to me the battery would provide a "buffer" for the charging system...but not sure. Thanks.

R

Ramblin' Rod

Parallel Circuits

Connect everything plus to plus (red to red) and minus to minus (black to black) and your fine. As long as the battery is connected in the circuit (even at the other end of the boat), you gain the storage and filtering capacity benefits of it. The real concerns are: 1. You never run it with the battery disconnected. 2. All wire between the battery and tiller pilot is of sufficient gauge to carry the max current anticipated. 3. If there is no fuse in the circuit, put one in (in the plus/red wire) just slightly higher amperage than the max current draw of the tiller pilot. Ramblin' Rod, EET, MBA, all around real nice guy! ;-)

Jun 4, 2004
- - Buffalo, NY
Rodney, thanks

for the response. I get that part, I was just worried that maybe tapping in front of the battery would cause a problem...can't find anything in my books that address it. Appreciate the input. BTW, one of my mentors told me that "if they have to say it, it probably isn't true" ;) Thanks again... Dave, BS (lots of that), MS (more of the same?)

Status
Not open for further replies.