Dry bilge in H49/50

Nate

Mar 26, 2014
Hunter 50AC Midland
Hello,

I’d like to get my bildge dry on my H50. I did a test and without using the AC and dish dryer it does stay dry. So my question to those who have done it, can you confirm the main saloon a/c condensation, aft a/c condensation and dish dryer are the only things that drain into the bilge?

Were you successful in running them all to one Whale IC or similar sump box? if so, any advice on routing and placement would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nate

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
There is no consistency in how A/C was installed on your boat - it was done during commissioning and therefore dependent on whoever did the work installing it.

Have you confirmed where these thing drain? If direct to the bilge, it’s generally easy to redirect both to a sump or in the case of the A/C, direct overboard via cooling water through a venturi.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Our heat pumps and stuffing box drain into the bilge. Our reefers drain into the shower sump box.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Hello,

I’d like to get my bildge dry on my H50. I did a test and without using the AC and dish dryer it does stay dry. So my question to those who have done it, can you confirm the main saloon a/c condensation, aft a/c condensation and dish dryer are the only things that drain into the bilge?

Were you successful in running them all to one Whale IC or similar sump box? if so, any advice on routing and placement would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nate
I have a dust-dry bilge on my 49

You’ll need the whale IC system, and a bunch of patience fishing hoses.
The dish dryer puts nothing into the bilge. It’s all from the airco units.
The other option is mermaid condensators.
Might be easier for you

Nate

Mar 26, 2014
Hunter 50AC Midland
I have a dust-dry bilge on my 49

You’ll need the whale IC system, and a bunch of patience fishing hoses.
The dish dryer puts nothing into the bilge. It’s all from the airco units.
The other option is mermaid condensators.
Might be easier for you
@artboas, you don’t happen to have pictures or a diagram of how you ran the hoses do you?

Jan 4, 2019
Hunter 50 Halifax & Martinique
The only water that gets into my bilge is when the shower box in the main shower overflows, usually because someone forgot to turn on the switch.

Jan 4, 2019
How do your airco units drain?
I do not use the AC. Caribbean breezes keep thing comfortable at anchor where we spend all our time and the only marina that we have used only has 240v. They do drain into the bilge though.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
I do not use the AC. Caribbean breezes keep thing comfortable at anchor where we spend all our time and the only marina that we have used only has 240v. They do drain into the bilge though.
I had an Atwood sump box for the main shower. It was nothing but problems.
The shower was originally made with a right angle drain fitting, which couldn’t drain fast enough. That was why Hunter used a rather noisy bilge pump to pull water out of the shower pan.
The sump box pumps need a lot of cleaning, etc, as the impeller pumps easily jam up.

One of the options is to put a remote whale gulper that connects to the box drain, and wire it to the float switch, thereby getting rid of the impeller pump altogether
This is less expensive than the whale IC, but is maintenance free

Jan 4, 2019
As the gulper pump can run even if dry, is it even necessary to use the drain box? Just hook it up to the shower drain and run it when the shower is on.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
That's exactly what I did.
Of course this will work,
But, I just think it’s more elegant not having the pump running continually
What I described was a lower cost version of the Whale IC system

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
My point is,,
You’ve already got the sump box physically plumbed in.
So, just use the switch,, and re-route the drain

On my 49, it had the exact setup you’ve done. The pump running constantly during the shower just drove me a little batty, as I knew there was a better solution.
In 2008, the whale Ic wasn’t invented yet.
So, modified the sump box as described.
Once the IC Came on the market, I totally re-plumbed all my grey water (airco, showers, etc)