drop kiel winch replacement

Aug 24, 2015
macgregor 25 LBI New Jersey
Has anyone replaced the drop kiel winch on a Macgregor 25? If so, what did you use as a replacement winch and where did you get it? PS - was the job easy?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I've not replaced my winch yet, but it's not too big of a deal.

Check Google for a Dutton-Lainson brake winch, with at least 900 lbs. capacity, I would estimate.

The worst part is attaching the new wire rope to the drum, IMO.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
I did mine. Got the 1200# model from Northern Tool since the price was not much more. I sail with the keel unbolted all the time so the extra beef is an advantage. No big deal to do. Two guys makes it easier. Make sure you note which direction it winds. I did not and got the opposite. It worked but needed to be adapted a little to get the cable to line up. I would call tech support there to make sure. I think there is an A or B in the model that noted cw or ccw winding. They are not reversible. I also put a piece of diamond plate aluminum under the support bolts which is it turned out makes a great no slip surface for the cabin entry step. It seemed like there was a lot of weight for just the fiberglass to hold, There was crazing around them.

I replaced the original after the pawl let go sending the spool unwinding till the keel was all the way out. That was in the east end of the Cape Cod Canal in a big chop. The keel was slamming into the trunk so hard I could see the bottom of the cabin deflecting. I was waiting for a giant hole to appear as the winch took a chunk of the hull to the bottom of the ocean. A superman dive into the cabin while honey took the helm and a rubber bungee later and we were all set. Sailed the rest of the weekend. I now keep a bungee right next to the winch just in case. The spinning handle will kill you or break a bone for sure. Caught my elbow when cooking dinner and accidently let it go while checking it. Lots of velocity with 650# on the other end.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
Here is a pic of the plate. You can see how I had to move the hole over due to the misalignment in rotation. Could be that the 1200# model took up more real estate too.

Don't mind the ghost figure in the picture. He had too many dark and stormy's!

Attachments