drive shaft length on a 30 ft. Catalina 1983 model

Dec 3, 2023
Catalina 30 Sailboat 30 ft. Oak Bay Marina
I'm preparing to change out the strut bearing on my 30 ft. Catalina 1983 model year and I'll change the drive shaft at the same time. It's a one inch shaft. Does anyone know the length of the drive shaft on that boat?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
If you are like most boat owners, you will be doing this while out of the water. This means no guess work. You simply remove the old shaft, then take it to a prop shop that has machining capabilities and ask them to make a new one. It took 3 days for the shop in Everett to fabricate a new shaft. Match the taper to my prop. Then fit and face a coupler to the transmission end of the shaft so that the transmission can be attached and aligned to the new shaft.

That way all fits are accurate and no guess work about... Is the other boat "exactly the same" as my boat.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
If you are like most boat owners, you will be doing this while out of the water. This means no guess work. You simply remove the old shaft, then take it to a prop shop that has machining capabilities and ask them to make a new one. It took 3 days for the shop in Everett to fabricate a new shaft. Match the taper to my prop. Then fit and face a coupler to the transmission end of the shaft so that the transmission can be attached and aligned to the new shaft.

That way all fits are accurate and no guess work about... Is the other boat "exactly the same" as my boat.
I pulled mine and took it to the local shop to make a new one, I was hauled out for the winter, so time wasn’t a big deal…but I did want to make sure it fit correctly.

Greg

Dec 3, 2023
Catalina 30 Sailboat 30 ft. Oak Bay Marina
Thanks Greg. I'm going to investigate this possibility to have a new one machined, and get a time frame for the work.