Dripless Shaft Seal sold by sailboat owners

Jun 15, 2015
Hunter 31 Port San Luis
Hello fellow seamen and ladies. Im in the midst of what turned out to be a major refit of my 1984 Hunter 31. Shes on the hard and as such Im replacing many things. I have pulled the old packing gland etc am going to replace it with a Dripless shaft seal. Looking around online the one listed on Sailboat Owners is actually the cheapest I can find at approx $255 with shipping. West marine is $300 as is amazon and PYI direct is more. My question is the sailboat owners website simply shows a photo and lists it as a Dripless shaft seal but does not mention a brand such as PSS. Has anyone else bought one? Is it a PSS brand or some other type? Thanks

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I put one on my ‘83; H31 about three years ago and I’ve been pleased with it. I replaced the one that came with the boat and the quality of the SBO part appears equal or better.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
As noted in a few other posts...

The rubber has a self life. Each Bellows [rubber part] has a date of manufacture stamp on it.

Recommend by PYI, 10 years life.
Find a vendor who will tell you that date before buying it.

Or take the discount of fewer years and really should not be a problem.
Jim...

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The picture under the H31 parts search is identical to a generic SBO 'dripless' seal search. They identify it as the PSS unit.

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
Before you splash the dollars on PYI or others look at Volvo shaft seals. Super simple and reliable. Volvo recommends a replacement every 5 years, but my neighbor had his installed for 18 years without an issue. You only need to "burp" the seal after a haul out and insert a drop of grease every year.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
If you are shopping, look at the LasDrop Gen II. NO maintenance. Mine has been problem free. No aging , cracking bellows to worry about. Practical Sailor liked the PSS and LasDrop best.

Jan 5, 2017
Hunter 356 SF Bay / Delta
I will second the LasDrop Gen II. Had a PYI on my last boat and had no issues with it, but went LasDrop on my current boat as it has a 10 year change interval versus 6 on the PYI.

If you are shopping, look at the LasDrop Gen II. NO maintenance. Mine has been problem free. No aging , cracking bellows to worry about. Practical Sailor liked the PSS and LasDrop best.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I will second the LasDrop Gen II. Had a PYI on my last boat and had no issues with it, but went LasDrop on my current boat as it has a 10 year change interval versus 6 on the PYI.
:thumbup: I think LasDrop is not as well known in the sailboat world as PYI because they used to just build for larger shafts. Just my opinion.