Drip-less stuffing boxes, good/bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dale I

Who needs the drippage and humidity in the bilge if these do work?? Any feed back?

R

Ron

Personal choice

Dale A properly adjusted stuffing box will have a drip rate of 1 to 2 per minute when the prop is turning, so the amount of moisture added by those drips is negligible. The humidity probably will never be affected by it. Further, at that drip rate it isn't likely that you'll even see it in the bilge. I'd say that if you had to replace the stuffing box for legitimate reasons, then a dripless variety might be a good choice. Otherwise, just keep it adjusted (usually only once or twice a year). --Ron

E

Ed Schenck

Or use "dripless" packing.

I have a normal old stuffing box on my Yanmar 2QM20. I have not had a drip in three years. See Related Link for what I use. But others claim they tighten regular teflon packing to "no drip". People who have the PSS Dripless(www.pyiinc.com) love them. But I could never understand the expense.

C

Carl and Juliana Dupre

Failure?

Hi, Dale. Some time ago I posted a badly over-stated concern about the dripless seals. But, however overdone it was, I still worry about the manner in which these seals tend to fail, if/when they do fail. First, all evidence to date seems to say that the dripless mechanical seals are very reliable and the failure rate is very low. But.......... When a traditional packing needs attention, it starts to drip, and you adjust it. And later on, if you don't do the needed maintenance, it will start to drip again, and you adjust it again. And again. And again. You get LOTS of warning that it needs attention before anything real bad happens. When the mechanical dripless seals fail, however infrequently that may be, they can fail with a gush rather than a drip. It is the possible mode of failure, not the likelihood or frequency, that worries me. We use and will stick with the dripless teflon packing; no drips during normal use, but no potential gushers either. If you want to use the dripless mechanical seals, we would suggest putting some thought into just how you will stem the gusher if it does happen. Carl and Jule s/v 'Syzygy'

B

Bob Todd

I installed a PSS in my boat...

It was a personal choice. There is no doubt that you have to trust the technology and quality. Below is a link to my web page and photos of the dripless installed. I like mine and I'm happy with my decision. Cheers, Bob

S

steven f.

what if???

Our h33 had a Lasdrop dripless system on the shaft for 15 years, not one drop in most of that time. Two years during a haulout I replaced it with a PSS. I fully realize that the "what if" of boating can sink a boat fast, including a major part failure in the PSS. I also realize that these type of failures rarely occur. These systems have proven themselves to us for many years and we continue to have faith in them. We research most things that have the potential for serious problems if they fail, we also refuse to live in fear over the "what if's" in life. Honestly, how many boats have you heard of sinking due to failed dripless systems vs. poor maintance of a battery, bilge pump or sea cock? Do the math and you will probably see that dripless systems sink far fewer vessels than poor maintance of sea cocks, batteries and bilge pumps. But as always, to each his own. As long as you enjoy your boat and you hurt nobody than have fun, life is short.

R

ron sloan

PSS

Like Bob I to installed a PSS.Best thing I ever did Regards Ron Sloan

Status
Not open for further replies.