Drama in Pago Pago

Aug 12, 2020
Lancer 36 Pago Pago
I was down in the harbor yesterday working on my boat, and stopped to chat with a live aboard acqaintance on my way out. He mentioned a 41 foot sail boat out of Hawaii had come into the harbor yesterday with an emergency, restricted ability to maneuver and leaking; when they contacted the harbor master, he told them they could not enter and threatened to have them towed out to sea and set adrift....about then the Coasties got on the channel and settled things down. They are at anchor in the harbor; hope to run into them to hear more.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
when they contacted the harbor master, he told them they could not enter and threatened to have them towed out to sea and set adrift
Sounds like that harbormaster is a dick. Is that even legal, according to international law?

Aug 12, 2020
Lancer 36 Pago Pago
They have had some repatriation flights and some ferry activity from Samoa; they are quarantined in hotel rooms for 14 days, with (unknown) penalties for violating the quarantine, and the Attorney General personally approves the applications for the repatriation requests. There has been a small number of critical workers allowed in, and people just showing up is not planned for or desired and entry can be refused. As an unorganized US territory they mostly do their own thing and have lots of bureaucrats mirroring federal functions. If COVID shows up here (if it has not already) it will hit this place hard as the hospital and staff are rudimentary.

Aug 12, 2020
Lancer 36 Pago Pago
A news report on the radio said that the vessel had engine trouble; they have not been granted clearance to enter AS and have to remain on board. I am sure the yachties here will be of assistance to them as able.

Aug 12, 2020
Lancer 36 Pago Pago
Last word i got was they are on a mooring doing a 14 day quarantine, with enough food and water.