Draining process for Racor spin-on fuel filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 8, 2009
Cal Jensen 1977 Cal 2-27 La Marianas Sailing Club
A few months ago I installed one of the 320R-RAC-02 racor fuel filters in my Cal 27 hoping to extend the life of my aged atomic 4 a bit longer. I'd like to drain the water / junk out in the next few weeks but I'm not sure what to expect.

When I open the drain plug at the bottom should I shutoff the fuel intake?

Will only water drain from the plug or will the gas come along with it until the whole unit is empty?

What do you guys normally do with the gas/water mixture that you collect from the draining process?

Getting to the filter is kind of a pain in the ass. Anyone installed a drain hose with a shutoff valve at the end in place of the standard plug to make things easier? or is that just asking for trouble?

Oct 2, 2006
Jboat J24 commack
I use a one quart glass canning jar as it allows the fuel to be looked at you should not get a big flood as the water world be first out

If its not to bad the Lawn Mower seems to be able to burn it ITs a PITA to get rid of old gas around here so out in the sun is one option for a tiny amount

Eric M

Sep 30, 2008
Island Packet 35 Jacksonville
When you open the drain plug you will get water (if there is any in there) and fuel until the filter is mostly drained. I say mostly, as when you eventually go to change the filter, more will come out after you start to loosen the screw on filter.
Not sure exactly what your Raycor looks like, but the drain plugs on mine have hose barbs so you can attach an extension hose for draining.
As for the bad fuel, the last time I topped off the tanks I had about a gallon of bad fuel that dockhand disposed of for me. It never hurts to ask...

Benny

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 320 Tampa, FL
Don't shutoff the fuel intake to avoid getting air in the lines and allow for easier flow. Get a glass jar and place it under the bottom drain and open the valve. Water and muck will come out first and when you see clear fuel starting to come out shut the valve. Just clean up any spilage and you are done. For disposal let the jar rest for a few minutes and the line between fuel and water should be very defined. If it is a very small amount just let the jar sit and the gas will evaporate first. If it is a larger amount you can suck it out with an old baster and put it back in the tank. Although it is a good idea to connect a drain hose when draining the filter I would not leave it on and much less rely on a shutoff valve at the end to control the flow. Fuel filters are required to be shielded or have the ability to withstand high temperatures. I would not gamble with a hose and its location meeting those requirements especially with gasoline.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Ziploc

I use a ziploc bag. You can wrap the whole bag up over the filter to avoid any spillage and the clear plastic let's you see the gunk, water, and fuel clearly. Of course dispose of properly but you shouldn't have more than a few tablespoons, maybe a half a cup. To transfer to a jar with a lid you can use scissors to cut the corner of the ziploc to drain into a jar.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 376 Warsash, England --
If you see water in the fluid which comes from the filter then know for sure there is more in your tank just waiting to stop your engine at the worst possible moment.

The fuel take off point is normally an inch above the lowest point in the tank so it doesn't suck up all the rubbish which seems to get in there and this part is often completely full of water. This all gets stirred up as you sail along and water gets drawn into the filter little by little. The rougher it is the more the water comes through. (Please don't ask!)

So dip the tank if that is possible or insert a couple of feet of 1/4" metal tube with a length of plastic tube attached to a small manual (NOT electric) pump and and poke it into the lowest part of the tank and see what you can pump out. Such pumps are available very cheaply for manually pumping oil out of the engine.

If there is any water there it will be necessary to completely drain the tank and suck out every last drop of water/fuel so you have a clean start. Remember water separator filters are the last ditch and should not be relied upon to cope continuously.
Where does the water come from - we buy it at gas prices - stories of 'condensation' often grossly overstate the amount of water received in this way.

Nov 8, 2009
Cal Jensen 1977 Cal 2-27 La Marianas Sailing Club
Thanks for all the advice guys.

Do you take the drain plug all the way out when you drain it or just far enough to let some water out?

MrBee

Dec 30, 2008
Irwin 34 Citation Middle River, Md.
Can only speak to how mine works, yours is probably the same. Should be able to open the drain just enough to have fluid draining out then tighten it back up.

Brian

Jimm

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Bodkin Creek - Bodkin YC
Thanks for all the advice guys.

Do you take the drain plug all the way out when you drain it or just far enough to let some water out?
All good advice you've received.
Having just recovered from major water intrusion into tank over winter (seems the fuel fill cap wasn't tight), I encourage engaging someone to 'polish' the fuel if you are concerned about the condition in the tank. My engine quit in an awkward location which always seems to be the case when things go wrong.
I took 2-3 gal of water out, and over the next several trips drained off additional small amounts from the Racor ... now standard practice is to drain Racor after each trip just to be sure more water hasn't stirred up from the bottom of the tank - so far so good!

Status
Not open for further replies.