drainage problem under deck

pgpgpg

Jul 9, 2012
I have a 78 O'day 22. Under the cockpit floor, aft of the companionway cabin entry, is an area that was originally filled with foam flotation. This was nasty and moldy when I got the boat, so removed it and threw it out. But now this space gets a lot of water in it, but it does not drain into the bilge and is difficult to pump out. i end up using a mop, which takes forever. The area appears to be above the bilge, so I'm wondering if I can drill a couple of holes into the floor of this area to allow water to drain down into the bilge. Does anyone know if the bilge extends this far back? I don't think that I will go through the hull because it is a flat surface, not rounded, which it would be if it were the hull. Does anyone else have this problem? Any recommendations?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Picture man.. Pictures. We have several boat owners that would love to help but are afraid to share experience when we are unsure of exactly you are saying. No one wants you to drill a hole only to put a Hoel through the bottom of your boat. Worse type of experience.

I would reconsider the Foam removal.. Small boat like yours are designed to float even if full of water. The installed foam is floatation so that you float with the cockpit full of water. Sure you have to get the grungy old moldy foam out of there.
Next you need to find where the water is coming from and seal up any holes. Is it fresh water (i.e. rain water) then it is coming from the deck you have a leak in the deck. Is it water seeping up from beneath the boat, then you have a hole in the hull (i.e.a crack from the center board or a thru hull that is worn out..) Both are wild guesses but may be helpful to you to begin your search for the problem. Mom too this boat fixing stuff is jus becoming a good detective about your boat.

Good luck I'll be watching the forum for you update.