Don Casey's Books

May 31, 2023
O'Day Daysailer 3 Richmond, VA
Working on my 2nd boat, a1975 O'day 22. I plan to order the The Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual. Is it truly "complete"? Will I need his other books on electronics, sails, etc.?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Casey's book was published 19 years, a lot has changed in that time.

Much of what you will find in the "complete" books, Casey's, Calder's, and others deal with systems that won't exist on an O'Day 22, systems like elaborate electronics, plumbing, engine and transmission, etc.

You might do better with a collection of books on specific topics, starting with a shop manual for the outboard, then a book on glasswork (Take a look at the West System manual, its free or very cheap), and so on.

• Helpful
Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
Casey's book was published 19 years, a lot has changed in that time.

Much of what you will find in the "complete" books, Casey's, Calder's, and others deal with systems that won't exist on an O'Day 22, systems like elaborate electronics, plumbing, engine and transmission, etc.

You might do better with a collection of books on specific topics, starting with a shop manual for the outboard, then a book on glasswork (Take a look at the West System manual, its free or very cheap), and so on.
Don Casey's first book, "This Old Boat", was published in 1991, 33 years ago! It was my bible for getting an old sailboat ready for cruising. Dlochner is right in that a lot has changed since then, but it is still a good read with many applicable fixes for modern boats.