Dogs Onboard Forum?

Jul 9, 2024
Ericson Mark I Philadelphia PA
It seems like this topic would get its own space, but I don't see one anywhere yet.

My dog Bash lives aboard, he is a 14lb Chihuahua mix.
IMG_2693.jpg

(he recently discovered the bathroom porthole, which is awkward)

I've had to make some dog-based accommodations for him and I wanted to share to help other sailing doggos.

Dog Pirate Plank
Bash needed a way to get in/out of the cabin, and all the ramps I've seen are super cumbersome and sketchy. So I built this:
IMG_2688.jpg

IMG_2689.jpg

IMG_2690.jpg

His path out is:
1. jump onto the quarter birth (or just get up, because he hangs out there all the time)
2. climb onto the engine box behind the companionway stairs from the quarterbirth
3. walk out onto his pirate plank
4. turn around and climb up the top step

To come in, he reverses this process. It's great because the plank folds up for humans and is out of the way when I am using the nav desk. I've already gotten muscle memory that when I go up or down I flip it with a toe to either keep him below or let him out. And in the mornings I find him waiting on the engine cover for me to put the plank down - it's a pretty clear signal that he needs to go out!

Dock Lead
I have struggled with a now-more-confident Bash; the first week we were aboard he refused to leave the cabin. Then, he got brave enough to do short laps on the deck. Now he has zero fear, and will jump onto the dock and take off at a whim. This marina is very dog friendly and that wouldn't be a huge issue except he likes to sit under parked cars for some reason (basically waiting to be run over).
I tried putting up netting, which worked for about a day. He discovered he could get a running start from the cabin top and use the netting like a trampoline to launch him onto the deck... so much for that. I tied the boat as far from the dock as possible, which kept him onboard during low tide - but inevitably he would jump when the gap closed.
So now we've worked out a system; I have about 50 feet of thin line cleated off on the dock and a clip that goes on his harness whenever he leaves the cabin. He can hang out on deck or the cockpit, or he can jump to the dock and chill at the picnic table and the trees next to our slip. He can even hide under my car if he really wants to hide under a car - but that's as far as the line will let him go.
We've done this for a few days now and he seems very content with the agreement, even waiting by the line clip (which lives on the lifeline when not in use) for me to hook him up. A peace accord of sorts, everyone seems happy.

Apr 25, 2024
Fuji 32 Bellingham
Clever plank solution. I sail with a service dog who is ... a tad larger. He is able to go up and down the companionway in more-or-less one big lunge. We have a similar issue, though, with him being a bit too brave about going up on deck.

The trick with us is that he needs to be able to go where I go. I don't go up on deck that often, but I do sometimes. So, if I'm allowed, he's allowed. And, when we are on the water for hours at a time, he needs to be able to walk about. It gets pretty boring staring at me in the cockpit or down below. So, he enjoys taking laps around the foredeck ... incessantly sometimes.

If conditions are too rough, I just tell him not to go and he won't ... until he forgets. But, I'm thinking of implementing a policy of having to ask permission. He is familiar with this from certain areas around our house that he is allowed to go to, only by asking and getting permission. I just like him being able to wander around his boat. But, we were experiencing 8-foot swells with a short period the other day, resulting in a pretty rough ride. He thought it would be better to ride this out from the foredeck. I had my hands full and didn't stop him in time, so we had a tense few moments until he came back when I called him. Could have gone much worse.

I will say, we recently got a new PFD from Non-Stop Dogwear (in Norway). Best vest ever - and we've tried them all. It's the first one that has ever seemed comfortable for him to wear for hours at a stretch. And, it works as well or better than any other vest, in terms of flotation.

Attachments

Jul 9, 2024
Ericson Mark I Philadelphia PA
Clever plank solution. I sail with a service dog who is ... a tad larger. He is able to go up and down the companionway in more-or-less one big lunge. We have a similar issue, though, with him being a bit too brave about going up on deck.

The trick with us is that he needs to be able to go where I go. I don't go up on deck that often, but I do sometimes. So, if I'm allowed, he's allowed. And, when we are on the water for hours at a time, he needs to be able to walk about. It gets pretty boring staring at me in the cockpit or down below. So, he enjoys taking laps around the foredeck ... incessantly sometimes.

If conditions are too rough, I just tell him not to go and he won't ... until he forgets. But, I'm thinking of implementing a policy of having to ask permission. He is familiar with this from certain areas around our house that he is allowed to go to, only by asking and getting permission. I just like him being able to wander around his boat. But, we were experiencing 8-foot swells with a short period the other day, resulting in a pretty rough ride. He thought it would be better to ride this out from the foredeck. I had my hands full and didn't stop him in time, so we had a tense few moments until he came back when I called him. Could have gone much worse.

I will say, we recently got a new PFD from Non-Stop Dogwear (in Norway). Best vest ever - and we've tried them all. It's the first one that has ever seemed comfortable for him to wear for hours at a stretch. And, it works as well or better than any other vest, in terms of flotation.
That is great! I've had trouble with the vests because Bash is so small - they are all like full-body suits for him and there's no way he can have one on all the time. I settled for a 4-point mountain climbing harness with a huge handle for when we are underway - it is still light enough that he can wear it for days, and if I needed to retrieve him in a DOB situation I could potentially snag him with a boat hook on that handle.
but agreed I'm going to need to teach him new things. He had a doorbell on land for when he needed to go out, so maybe we can adapt that somehow. I do love him prowling the whole boat though, it's still a mansion from his point of view :)