DOES THE CAL 2-27 HAVE THE "BEAM OF DEATH" PROBLEM?

Jul 11, 2011
Catalina 30' Oak Harbor
I'm looking at a 1975 Cal 2-27 and would like to know if they have the same "Beam of Death" issue as the Cal 29 ? Any help would be appreciated!

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
I'm looking at a 1975 Cal 2-27 and would like to know if they have the same "Beam of Death" issue as the Cal 29 ? Any help would be appreciated!
I looked into this quite a while back (when I was considering a 2-27) and I *believe* it does not. Specifically, I put in an offer on one in 2012, which I did not wind up buying. I recall inspecting that issue specifically, as I'm well aware of this issue with many of the Cal boats (e.g., the 29, the 34, the 40, and others). At the time I was satisfied that it was not constructed with one. But what I don't remember at this point is how I was able to determine this. I believe that I was somehow able to get visual access to that area, perhaps from one of the bilge hatch openings. But that's what I no longer recall.

Anyway, I believe that's what my research showed at the time. But don't rely on this as I'm not positive.

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
As far as I know, no they do not. They're a pretty nice boat - I almost bought one when I was looking for a 27-28ft boat.

druid

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
If by "Beam of Death" you mean a wooden support under the compression post that is prone to rot then no.
Any questions about the 2-27 feel free to ask, I've had my '76 model since spring of 2014, I'm very happy with it and consider it to be a very well built boat. 99% of my WTF? moments are due to things the previous owners have done.