Does the 30 or 31 Sail to PHRF Rating

• Thread starter Michael McGuire
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Michael McGuire

I have an O'day 28 that we race/cruise. We are considering upgrading to the 30 or 31 from extra room for family crusing. The 28 is light at @7,000 lbs. the 30 is much heavier at @10,500 lbs. Hence, the following questions regarding performance of the 30 for wednesday night racing. I understand the PHRF rating for Long Island Sound is in the 170's. Can the O'Day 30 sail to its rating in light winds ( < 12 knots in non-spin racing) if so what is needed in terms of sail controls etc? How does it do against the Tartan 30, Pearson 30, Catalina 30 Tall rig, etc? Please e-mail me at mmcguire@valuenet123.com Does anyone actively race this boat? is it a sleeper?

R

Russ Marcks

I'm not a racer so I have no idea what the PHRF rating actually means, but I know it's about 177 for the O'Day 30. I don't know what it is for the 302 or for the 31. Russ

N

Neil Scoltock

O-31

I have not personally raced on a 31 , but have raced one with a max,full batt main,ckpt adj genoa cars,in the hands of a very capable skipper and was quite impressed how it moved on all points. Practical Sailing has a decent review on the 30/31. The person with the above 31 also sailed it to Bermuda and back with his son, he just reinforced the bow area.The 31 is the smaller brother to my boat the 35 which does quite well in PHRF racing.

D

david tees

racing oday 30

I'm fairly new at racing but consider myself competent.I have raced against the oday 28 and didn't find I had much of an advantage.The boat likes lotsa wind and doen't do well downwind in light air.I would buy the boat again however.Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.