Does my outboard have enough Umph!!

• Thread starter Joe Passanisi. pass@fcgnetworks.net
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joe Passanisi. pass@fcgnetworks.net

I have a 1974 Catalina. My outboard is a 1992 Yamaha 6.6 np located in the well under the stern cockpit seat. My question is. Will the 6.6 hp be strong enough to make head way against the tidal flow in the New Hampshire waters. My Lancer 25 had a 9.9Hp and that was over kill. Anyone with Tide bucking experience please get back to me. Thanks, Joe Passanisi

R

R. Palaia

Seems a bit wimpy

I think a 6.6 hp is kind of light. I had a 23ft. daysailor that weighed about 2500 pounds and it had a 7.5hp Honda. Sometimes I would buck a 2.5 kn current. I would think a 9.9hp would be more appropriate for your boat. Roc

B

Bob Camarena

Check out the 3/25 posting.

There's an earlier posting on the same subject -- I'd go for the 9.9.

T

ToyBox

From 3/25

I wrote the posting on 3/25 and I was asking what I could get away with on the low end and didn't consider anything less than an 8 hp. But I have decided to go to the 15 hp Johnson. Watch the size of the engine. I went to the 15 Johnson, because I am told that very few engines will fit in the space available in my 78. And the Johnsons 6 and 8 are configured differently so the 10 and 15 are not as tall as the 6 or 8. I measured Mercs and they didn't seem to fit. I was told by a fellow C27 owner that the Johnson was the best engine for the boat.

D

Dave O

Merc 15

I bought my 76 with an 88 merc 15hp installed. there was a little modification needed, they had to cut out the well just a very little bit to make room for it to tilt up and out, but now it is in and works great. I think that having a little over kill in power can not hurt. I can motor at 5.5 to 6kts all day long. Also, with the extra power, I back into my berth almost every time. This engine only weighs 85 lbs, not much more than the 9.9hp and it has electric start and a charging system that works great. I just had a major service done for preventative maintenance. This engine has never let me down. I know the Johnson is a good engine too. Just some thinks to consider. Good Luck. Dave. 'After Five'

D

Dick

C27 outboard

We have a 1988 Johnson 9.9 Sailmaster which fits the well fine, and seems to provide enough power for what we've experienced on the bay to date. I don't have confidence that it will give us enough margin for a counter current C&D transit, or the tidal curents at some places in New York. I'm also not sure how it will behave if we're powering into any kind of sea. The pitching may cause even the long shaft to break water. This engine will back the boat, but I must be cautious to have the tiller under firm control if I apply any power in reverse because it will take charge of the rudder. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.