Does anyone Race their 310?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2004
Catalina 310 Virginia Beach, VA
If so, what kind of success have you had. The first year I had "Juliet" I placed third in Dallas Race Week in Main and Jib-since then I get smoked all the time. Any tips or tricks to pass along.

Fair Winds and Happy New Year to all!

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Potomac River Racing

I race on the Potomac River and my results are OK. I pray for a little bit of chop and heavier winds as otherwise I get creamed by the small light boats that I owe time to. This past year I have a 2nd and 3rd in two races and was in the middle of the pack for two others. I missed the Mayor's and Leukemia Cup's in Alexandria due to scheduling. One thing that really helped me this year was one guy I hooked up with was very good and fanatical about sail trim so it was one less thing for me to worry about as well as some dumb luck. Ray

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
You can hardly call these racing boats with the wing keel, but we try. We rate 186 in PHRF Chesapeake with roller furling 155% and wing keel. I am trying to determine if my rating includes a fixed prop adjustment or not when I renew this year. I had a Catalina 27 for about 10 years and were always in the front of the pack with her, but now we always seems to be in the back. The smaller boat had kevlar/mylar jibs without the furling, a folding prop, and the fin keel, but none of the amenities like AC, fridge, hot/cold water, real master berth, etc like the 310 has.

Believe it or not, one of the best races we had was a total drifter where we played the current and the crew was quick to pick out the shifts (and set the anchor in foul currents). We were first around several marks, but then it was abandoned. She seems to do better if the winds are over 15 knots, which isn't often around here in the summertime. Most of our racing is in pretty flat water, maybe I need to import some of that Potomac river chop to the Elizabeth river?

I would be interested to know what your PHRF ratings are, and if you have the std keel or wing? When we first got the boat we had a lot of problems with it rounding up in the puffs, but have alleviated some of that by raking the mast forward (we never cleat off the traveler in gusty conditions). I wonder if it would be worthwhile to consider a folding prop?

Dave on Valcour #218

May 24, 2004
Dave
Thanks for the reply. I have the Fin keel version with 6'3" draft. I have the 150 RF Genoa and the Std. main that came with the boat with the Dutchman Sail Flaking system. I also have a three blade fixed prop. I agree with you that she is not really set up to race. That fleet I race in uses the Rating from Catalina of 181. In strong blows I do get strong weather helm so I must reef down, but as long as I reef or spill air from the sails I never worry about how much wind she can handle-been out in 20+ with gust to 30. I love the boat just trying to make sail around the marks a tad faster, of course if she had a better skipper that might help me too :)

Sep 29, 2008
Dave< I have the wing keel with a 3 bladed fixed prop. Our local guy gave me a 186 PHRF. Unfortunately, we normally don't get winds in many races above 10 knots and a lot of times the water is flat. But, if you stay to the edges of the river and pay attention to the wind you can do very well. The 310 really likes 12-15 knots of wind and a little chop (when you can get it!) does help spank the smaller/lighter boats. In one race off of Mount Vernon we had really light wind and a healthy current running south (did I mention the Potomac is a tidal river so it runs north and south?) and by being very careful on our run we we able to just squeak past the final buoy on the north run and left 3/4 of the fleet behind because they were being greedy and tried to short it. Don't blame the captain, he had smart crew onboard.

May 24, 2004
Got smoked by a Catalina 30

I start Founders Cup this Saturday (Chandlers Landing Yacht Club on Lake Ray Hubbard-Dallas, TX) I'll let everyone know how we stack up.
A newer Model 30, the skipper is a great sailor as I still struggle with race trim. My crew has zero experience but are a great bunch of guys and willing to learn, they love to sail and we have a great time-what more can we ask for :)

Sep 29, 2008
Re: Got smoked by a Catalina 30

So, Was this a 309? Weren't the 30's (aka Mk III) discontinued around 1994 unless there is a special order?

I race against a 309 and it is pretty comparable to the 310. If you ever seen them up on blocks in the yard, it looks like they both come from the same mold.

May 24, 2004
No it is a 30, by newer model I guess i meant the late 90's version (MKIII). The 309 is so similar in Hull, check the specs-identical. But we have MANY more standard Features and I like the layout better IMHO.

May 24, 2004
Looks like the Race Committee is Changing my PHRF:
Ken,
It appears that you can receive a plus 24 sec. adjustment to your handicap if you can confirm the following:
Juliet has roller furling with UV cover....+12 sec
Juliet has a 3- blade fixed prop.............+ 6 sec
Juliet has no spinnaker on board...........+ 6sec

PHRF ADJUSTMENTS:

Boat with Roller Furling receives a +6 second adjustment.
Boat with Roller Furling and UV cover receives a +12 second adjustment.
Boat with inboard engine and 2-bladed fixed prop receives a +6 second adjustment.
Boat with inboard engine and 3-bladed fixed prop receives a +6 second adjustment.
Non-Spinnaker boat recieves a +6 second adjustment.

Juliet's handicap would go from 180 to 204

Status
Not open for further replies.