dodger for the Hunter 430

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rainy

If anyone out there has added a dodger to their 43 would appreciate advice. The companionway steps are so high that it seems like you couldn't duck low enough to safely enter the boat. Prior lake sailing didn't need one, now on coast and do. Please post a reply esp. with any digital photo to rainyday2001@hotmail.com Thanks

P

Peter Milne

Hunter 430 Dodger

We added a dodger to our 430 two years ago. The front of the dodger follows the notch in the deck ahead of the companionway. The front panels are raked at a slightly greater angle than the leading edge of the arch. The side panels come back as far as the arch. (They are snapped to the arch.) The height of the dodger is to approximately 7 or 8 inches below the arch. We felt that to go the full height of the arch made the boat look top heavy. We lowered the top to the point where it did not obstruct the helman's vision (I am 5' 10"). You need to stoop to go down the companionway, but even if you raise it to the top of the arch you still must stoop. The stainless steel frame has hand holds along both the port and starboard sides which provide great security when going forward. Across the back of the frame is a convenient hand hold for those standing in the cockpit. The dodger provides great shelter and on hot days we take out all the panels and it acts almost like a bimini. Sorry I can not send pictures. My scanner is not functioning. But if you have questions, e-mail me at pjmilne@telusplanet.net. Peter Milne

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Don't know about your boat but...

Rainy: Don't know about your boat but i would suggest that you make all of the panels on your dodger removable. With the heat you get during the summer you will need as much air circulation as possible. On our H'31 we ended up with five panels (2 sides, 2 corners and a center). We also had sun screens made for them. We leave the sun screens in during the summer unless it is very warm. The sun screen DOES cut down on the amount of air. Our winter windows have the plastic in them and then we have covers for the plastic. We also had a bag made for the plastic windows. The bag has terry cloth dividers to keep each window seperate. It is quite large but it protects the plastic and keeps them flat during storage. You can probably store them under a matress. If you want to see our dodger look in the Photo Forum and search for H'31 Dodger. Some of the photos are messed up but you will see enough of it to get some ideas.

M

Mark Johnson

One more thought....

I agree with Steve on having side panels removable for those HOT days of summer, but what I did also, was to have the forward center window fold back over the top of the dodger and snap to the back of it where I have a hand rail. I found that just rolling the forward window up somewhat obstructed my view but pulling the forward window back over the dodger gave me another 8 inches or so of verticle visibility.

J

Jake

Stepped Covers

On our 410 we created a stepped dodger/bimini combination. To visualize this: Bimini mounted at height of arch--> then angled clear plastic step connector to --> dodger at the lowest eight you feel comforatble with. Our dodger is lower than the bimini by about 18-24". Yes, new crew tends to bump their heads the first time aboard. But this config is well worth it. Less windage. Looks better and also allows you to open the dodger vent over companionway and the step plastic connector plastic as well. My step connector piece unzips completely, but if I did it today I would let it unzip completely AND add a smiley opening the widthe of the companionaway to provide clear visibility without taking the WHOLE connector plastic off. Jake S/V OffLine

K

Ken Silverstein

I have a for you?

How is the performance of a 92legend 43? I am looking to buy one, Is it competitive with like a Catalina 42?

Status
Not open for further replies.