dock line for Beneteau 323 1/2" or 5/8?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Moderate conditions, in a sheltered marina, at a normal displacement weight the 1/2" nylon double braid lines should serve you well and fit neatly in your cleats.

Winter gale conditions exposed to large swells off the lake you will be looking for the 5/8 lines to secure your boat. Likely using both sizes to double p the lines and hold the boat off the dock in her space.

I vary my dock lines based on conditions and if I will be on the boat during predicted weather. If I am there I can always add a line. If I am ashore I put more lines out before i leave the boat. I am currently carrying several sets of 1/2" lines for my 17,000 lb displacement boat.

A set is 2 bow lines, 2 mid spring lines and 2 stern lines.

During a storm in September of 2021, with 60knt winds across a 3 mile fetch of bay into the marina , I added a bow, spring and stern line to the windward side to stabilize the boat in her slip. Alwyas nice to have extra line when you need it.

LynnM

Mar 7, 2021
Beneteau 323 St Clair Shores
Thank you, our 323 (9300lb) Beneteau is in a fairly protected marina so we should be OK

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Thank you, our 323 (9300lb) Beneteau is in a fairly protected marina so we should be OK
“we should be okay” with which size, 1/2” or 5/8”???
In must occasions 1/2” diameter would certainly be the correct size for a 9,300lb boat. A snubber on short 5/8” lines would be required as there is little stretch in that diameter as compared to 1/2”. Will a couple of 5/8” eye splices even fit on your cleats? Hers is an article from WM re dock lines

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I think that you should be fine using 1/2” in normal conditions. If your location is subject to storms with high winds, I would opt for 5/8”. I use 5/8” braided nylon on my boat (12000 lbs); however, we occasionally get summer thunderstorms with 40 to 50 knot gusts. If a hurricane is heading my way, I double up the lines with two 5/8” lines at every position.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
There is no right answer to your question, although there are definitely some wrong answers.

The three factors are strength, elasticity, and physical fit. Fatter lines may not fit all the cleats and chocks, fatter lines will require more force to stretch and buffer the boat's movement. Thinner lines are not as strong.

On our 15K pound boat, most of the time we use ⅝" for the bow and stern lines and ½" for the spring lines. The greater stretch of the smaller lines helps to buffer the fore and aft movement when a surge works through the marina.

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
Which feels good when you are handling the line? I hate thin lines, so I always go up a size.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
I doubt the problem with dock line use is the size of the line. Whether 1/2" or 5/8", the breaking strength of the line is much greater than likely demand. The issue is the exposure the line to chafe. But a larger line does not help much with chafe - conditions and circumstances that can chafe through a 1/2" line in three hours, would likely chafe through a 5/8" 30 minutes longer - who cares? The key issue for secure docking is how well you lines are protected from chafing. Buy 1/2" lines and put the extra money in chafing gear.