do you sleep head first in the island berth?

Oct 17, 2011
Catalina 310 USA
I am curious, for the 310 people, do you sleep head first (head at the bow) or feet to the bow for the island berth. We have always slept head to the bow because of the TV on the bulk head (I am unfortunately in the habbit of watching tv to fall asleep, no matter where I am).....Never really though about sleeping the other way. Also, this might be in my head, but I though the "bow" end of the mattress would be higher than the stern end.

Maybe we would be more comfortable sleeping the with feet to the bow....

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Feet first in a traditional V berth.

Head first on the walkaround types.

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
Depends on the weather - 95% of the time head to the bow, (reading lights) so head first. When it is very hot, (and were not using the AC) will flip to take full advantage of the overhead hatch and side ports for air movement. Plus, that breeze help's my wife... will call her "Flash", you ladies and men that have been there / done that will catch the joke. Could be 45 degrees out, but still to warm...

It may seem silly, but I agree if you sleep head out, (feet to bow) seems like your sleeping downhill...

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I'm learning a lot.

Only choice I haven't seen is: skipper feet one way, mate the other way. :dance:

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 #147 Oakville Yacht Squadron
Head to the bow; easier to prop up with a pillow to read, and I agree with the downhill comment.
Anyone seen the electric elevating bed on the 355. Might be the only reason I would upgrade...

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I'm learning a lot. Only choice I haven't seen is: skipper feet one way, mate the other way. :dance:
Haha. We have done that. Before I installed a couple of fans I have woken up to find my bride's feet next to my head.

We go head first. I installed two turbo fans next to the reading lights. Makes all the difference.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
We always sleep head towards the bulkhead. I installed a fan to circulate the cooler air coming in the forward hatch, and since we read a lot, we are more comfortable propped up on the bulkhead, next to the reading lights.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
Up until last year we slept head first. Switched it up and found we like it better. Feels more comfortable and easier to make the bed in the am.