Do you have any comments for Beneteau 411

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Osman Togay

Dear Friends, I am about to buy Beneteau 411 Oceanis Clipper, I would like to know if you have any comments or any bad experience with it or any recommendations to add on a standard package they offer from the factory. Thanks Osman Ps, I am still looking for a name I appreciate if you recommend one.

B

Brian Pickton

Osman's Flying Carpet

Nov. 13, 2000 Dear Osman, You’ve picked my favorite Beneteau ( apart from the one I’ve got) for your next boat, congratulations! Personally I think Beneteau has really done a good job putting this one together to meet short handed cruiser’s needs with this model. Obviously so did Cruising World when they voted it Boat of the Year in the best value for a full size cruiser category. I always love it when experts agree with me - it means they’re right! On options my choices always lean towards improving sailing performance so I would go with the deeper keel and the classic mast with the full batten mainsail and lazy jacks as opposed to the roller furling version. I would want to add battery capacity beyond the original 200 amp hour house bank, and prefer a 3 or 4 burner Force 10 stove to a two burner unit, which is quite limiting. I would also get the factory auto pilot and electronics package, genneker gear and the electric windless. I don’t see it on the list but a feathering propeller would be high on my list. I’d be careful to check the cost of the gear locally against the Beneteau cost for the electronics to see if I could get a good package locally. Besides an autopilot, radar and GPS would be high on my list. As for a name, have you considered “Osman’s Flying Carpet” ? Congratulations again on making a great choice. Brian Pickton @ BeneteauOwners.net Aboard The Legend, Rodney Bay. St. Lucia

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Couple more ideas....

Looks like things are getting pretty serious here. If it were my boat some of the things I'd want are: 1. Windlass; something above the minum. Dealers and factory people tend to go with the minimum to keep costs down. Since you're in an area where the wind can blow quite strong it is important to have very good ground tackle. Thinking ahead toward the chain try to select a chain that has large holes in the links. On our 35 footer we used to have 3/8 BBB and swithed to 5/16 high test which was a big mistake. The 5/16 doesn't have enough room for large shackles. The 3/8 has much more room for the shackle bolt. Recommend a similar reasoning for your chain. Also, it would be a really good idea to have the dealer ensure that the chain will feed properly through the windlass into the chain locker - many windlass setups don't! Masthead wiring: VHF antenna, use large coax and make sure where it feeds through the mast to the antenna that it isn't pinched. Use sealant and heat shrink on the antenna cable to antenna connection to keep moisture out. All wires and cables should have a good strain relief setup to take the load of the weight of the wire off the connectors. Recommend not just 'trusting' the dealer in this but talk to the person who works on masts in the local yard. 3. Use anti-sieze compound on all stainless to aluminum connectors!!!! At least those you may want to take apart in the future. 4. Consider an osmotic barrier coat system before bottom paint is applied. 5. Discuss how warranty items will be handled. Thinking of those little things during commissioning is a good way to have a less troublesome boat later on. Good luck with your final decision. P.S. Put all agreements in writing.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Two more items:

Just thought of a couple more items for a new boat buyer: 1. Recommend a dripless shaft seal such as the PSS sold by PYI at pyiinc.com. There are several types but the bottom line is to keep water out of the bilge. 2. Sedondly, ask the dealer, preferably before you by the boat, if you can get a broker discount at any of the chandleries.

Status
Not open for further replies.