Do the Venture 21 and Venture 22 Mast, Rudder, and stays interchange?

Dec 11, 2022
Macgregor V21 Horsetooth Lake
I've come across two old Ventures, a 75 V21 with clean hull, sails, trailer, boom, and interior but missing the mast, rudder, and standing rigging. I also have an option to purchase a 70 V22 with poor trailer, pitted deck, dilapidated plywood interior, and broken hatches - but has all rigging, the mast, sails, and a one piece rudder that appears to be constructed of wood. I realize the sail dimensions are close but don't match, but I'm windering if the masts are interchangeable (I'm guessing 24'?) and if the V22 rigging might be salvageable for the V21 as most V22 dimensions are longer, potentially allowing me to shorten and re swage the lower terminal ends? I don't know if the spreader height and upper stay locations above the mast step are the same between these models, or if there's another route I should be taking to get the V21 back on the water? Part of my concern is that the specs state the V21 has a cutter rig while the V22 would be a masthead or fractional sloop - but I don't understand what the differences might mean for standing rigging and placement of the upper stay locations on the mast.
I welcome any advice or suggestions - yes, I'm trying to do this as inexpensively as possible.

Jun 25, 2016
Venture 21 Minter Bay
I have a '74 V21 with a 24' masthead rig, which I believe was a replacement after a dismasting (based on repairs around mast step). The spreaders are fixed perpendicular to the mast at 12ft from eith end. That may have necessitated locating the upper shrouds forward of the lowers, perpendiculat to the mast/hull centerline (a second set of chainplates were added). So, it sounds like the V22 mast could work. I have a inner forestay for a cutter rig that I have never setup when sailing, so you can sail it as a standard sloop. There mught be enough adjustment in the turnbuckles to fit just fine. Good luck!

Dec 11, 2022
Thank you for those details! Not having seen either my V21 or the older candidate V22 rigged in person, it's hard for me to identify/verify the discrepancies between the two boats' rigging. But from some pics of the V22 candidate (afloat, below), it looks like the spreaders are indeed swept back. And my V21 chainplates (on trailer, below) look like they are well aft of the mast step, similar to the 22. Also, my V21 doesn't seem to have the lower cutter stay plate on the foredeck....unless it's a low profile that I can't see in the pic (I'm 200mi from either boat right now). Is it possible some of the V21's were built as sloop rigs, vs cutters?

Again, thanks for any ideas/insights/advice.
317931277_679252596991945_7704946512638775464_n.jpg
IMG_20221023_170116445.jpg

Jun 25, 2016
Venture 21 Minter Bay
I think the forward hatch on your V21, and most likely the cutter rig, were options. My boat came with a small jib that looks like a fit with that cutter setup (but I always used it on the forestay) when not using the larger 120ish genoa. I think the swept spreaders that can pivot for trailering and the single chainplate for uppers and lowers was standard...so, mine was a customization. The simple eyelet for the inner forestay is in line with the aft stantions of the bow pulpit. I think it through-bolts... There is a glassed-in structural member in that area on the underside of the deck, so it could be anchored into that. Here is a link to a photo of mine showing the fitting and you'll see a deck vent where you have a hatch.

Here is that structural piece where you can see bolts from the hardware above (just not for the eyelet...). I'd have to crawl in there to look behind the structural piece.

I hope that helps...

Dec 11, 2022
Thanks - your pix and description are building my confidence that my 21 was rigged and will sail fine as a sloop. I think the V22 components may just work, although I'm pretty sure the 22 rudder is too long, and the pintles are probably spaced too far apart for the shorter 21 transom- plus it doesn't have a kick up feature for beaching. But at least I can use the mast and rigging from the 22 to help get the 21 underway.
I appreciate the help!

Jun 25, 2016
Venture 21 Minter Bay
My rudder doean't kick-up, but I have been thinking that would be one modification.

I'd think someone with a M or V22 could give you that pintle spacing to compare to the second photo.

Let me know if I can look for other photos...since you'll especially want to take a hard look at the keel & pivot bolt.

Cheersa