Do I need a flexible coupling?

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
We're repowering with a Beta 14. I ordered a 1" cutless bearing from albinmotor.com over in Sweden, a three-blade 12x8 prop and 1" shaft w/pressed-on coupling from General Propeller. I've raised the engine bearers by 3/8", and it's almost time to start the alignment process.Do I need a flexible coupling??I do have one on hand, an R&D #910-014, if it's recommended/required. Is it?? I'm a little confused about what flexible couplings do, who should and should not use one, and why. Thanks in advance!!

Oct 15, 2015
I would recommend one on the basis that it dampens shocks and pulses between the fixed shaft and shock-mounted (movable) engine. Smooths out the rotary vibration as it were, saving your cutlass bearing. Also as a secondary function it isolates the engine form the shaft preventing electrolysis corrosion.

Apr 12, 2016
Thanks Tim! That's the way I'm leaning.Semi-side note: I've been reading about the "2 out of 3 rule". Meaning, between engine mounts, shaft coupling, and shaft seal (three things) only two should be flexible or else you get to much wobble.My Beta has rubber mounts, we're addressing the coupling right now, and as for the shaft seal I'm using a Buck Algonquin stuffing box. Does anyone know if that part qualifies as flexible?

Gazuum

Oct 23, 2010
Pearson P365K Port Angeles
Not necessary if the alignment is done properly. There are a lot
more boats out there without than with.
Do your final alignment with the boat in the water. Use your
feeler gauges, do it right and you don't need the flex coupling.
That said, if you already have the proper one, it won't hurt
anything if you do use it. But I would still be diligent with the
alignment.
G
On 3/20/2018 7:16 PM,
gene_neill@... [AlbinVega] wrote:

Oct 15, 2015
I have a Buck A. stuffing box. There is a rubber hose connected from the shaft log to the gland nut. It moves around quite a lot with engine pulses. I have a 1gm10 Yanmar and at idle it jumps around like a jack rabbit. The point of rigidity is the shaft cutlass bearing. Everything upstream of that needs to be shock/impulse dampened.

Sep 24, 2008
Flexible couplings are not there to allow for shaft mis-alignment. They are there to prevent transmission damage it he prop was to hit something. A very good item to have.

mphalv

Sep 29, 2001
We have a single cylinder 1GM10 Yanmar. It vibrates and moves around a lot more because of being one cylinder especiall at idle. A flexible coupling was necessary, but not need on the 2 cylinder volvo penta that was orginal equipment. It does reduce cutlass bearing wear.
Paul

Double Fantasy

Gazuum

Oct 23, 2010
Pearson P365K Port Angeles
I tend to disagree.
These transmissions have dics and use ATF for a reason. They are
friction drive. They are made to slip! (But not enough to be
noticeable) Hit something and they slip. Pounding into big seas and
they slip. Slam into gear and they slip. (Maneuvering in the marina)
Hit something underwater such as a tree limb with your prop and I
guarantee your prop is toast. Flex coupling won't save it but you
won't take out the transmission either.
Flex couplings were invented to reduce alignment issues. Most back
yard mechanics (and many marine mechanics) don't have a clue how to
align the shaft so they install a flex coupling. Not really a bad
thing. Just saying.
Think about a flex coupling. Is it made to flex rotationally? No.
It is made to flex side to side. If you have alignment problems, the
flex coupling will save wear and tear on cutlass and transmission
bearings. So again it isn't a bad thing.
g

On 3/21/2018 7:45 AM, Brian Stannard
brianstannard@... [AlbinVega] wrote:

Oct 15, 2015
I guess it depends on your transmission. Mine definitely does not use ATF. Shaft alignment is not a constant. Engine shock mounts settle and flatten over time, engine beds compress and the hull flexes as well. You don't need a flex coupling but it sure helps and is a good idea. My 1gm10 yanmar has power-pulses every 720 degrees of crankshaft rotation and without the benefit of a gyro stabilization dpmpend flywheel, so the flex coupling in my case helps absorb (some) of the rotational shock.

Apr 12, 2016
I was just looking at the Vega Association of Great Britain's page, where they sell (or used to sell?) Beta packages. I notice they advertised that all their Betas came with a flexible coupling. Interesting ...