Do all O'Day 34/35's have the mast fittings to run a spinnaker?

DAWR

May 19, 2020
Laser, Opti, Melges 24 my dock
We are seriously looking to buy an O'day 34/35. One concern we have had is that many of the boats that we have seen listed and the one that we looked at do not have spinnakers. How hard is it to set up a spinnaker on a 34/35. I have looked at the manual for the 34 and it does not even list it as an option, but they have pictures of one flying it on the cover. Are there two different masts or was it the same mast?

Also, if we decide we don't want an asymmetrical chute, can someone tell me how long the pole is and if you added a fitting to your mast to use it?

Thank you!

Harlan

Jun 4, 2004
Oday 34 Niantic
I believe all the 34/35's have an Isomat mast and it has a track for an adjustable pole end car extruded into the front of the mast. The trick may be finding the car. Try rigrite.com - but they are awfully independent.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
If you have a track, measure the width and find a block to fit the track. If it's an adjustable block, the trick will be in making up the line for the adjustment.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
If the boat isn't currently setup for a spinnaker you should be able to look at the masthead (with binoculars) and see if there is a masthead crane that would support a swivel block for a spinnaker halyard. If not, and it is an Isomat mast, Rig Rite's website shows a spinnaker crane you could add. A bit of a pain though. And I agree with Harlan that Rig Rite is not the easiest to deal with (in my experience).

Rig Rite also has the mast car but I'm pretty sure this one from Catalina Direct will fit the integral track in the mast. According to the Rig Rite web page the Catalina 380 and 42 used Isomat masts ( NG 70 and/or NG80). Spinnaker Car, C-380, C-390, & C-42 You can compare this one to what shows on the Rig Rite website.

The pole length is usually driven by the J measurement which for the 34/35 is, I think, 14 feet.

DAWR

May 19, 2020
Laser, Opti, Melges 24 my dock
Thank you! That is really helpful. The binocular idea is great. I was thinking of having my husband bring his harness and go up (don't think owner would like that), send a drone up (don't have one so that would have been tough), binoculars sound like a much better solution.

I really appreciate the part/ car information. Hopefully, some owner of the boat had a spinnaker once upon a time.

Actually, we now are trying to figure out the draft of the boat as the current owner/broker is not sure. So that is another thing we need to look at. My husband is going to try to dive down and figure it out.

Hopefully it all goes well and we will be able to call ourselves owner's soon!