DIY Hot Knife For Cutting Sunbrella & Sail Cloth

Dec 17, 2015
Macgregor 26 Classic, Swing Keel (26-S) Dog River, AL
I am getting ready to start sewing some sail covers for our new mainsail on our Macgregor 26-S. I am using Sunbrella fabric, which is a synthetic cloth. Cutting it with scissors causes the edge to ravel. However, it can be cut with a hot cutting knife. I did not want to spend $150-$200 for a special knife just to cut this fabric, however, I also wanted something that would cut at a reasonable rate and not be painfully slow.

I ended up making a cutting tip from a piece of 12 gauge copper wire (house wire), bent it to the proper shape, slightly flattened the edge and then mounted it on my old Weller pistol type soldering gun. This thing works great, is reasonably fast and also does well with cutting curves. When I actually put it to work, I will be cutting the fabric on a piece of glass. This should reduce the heat transfer between the knife and the work surface and allow it to cut even faster. I hope this little hack helps you out!

Thanks to Sumner for all of his and Ruth's sewing adventures. You have spurred me on. I now have a Juki commercial sewing machine that I will be using for the sail-pack I am wanting to build.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Will work well to cut and seal the ends on all your lines as well.

Mar 28, 2015
Macgregor 25 Cherry Creek
Since the Admiral will be redoing our cushion covers I think I will buy a Weller. Still cheaper than a hot knife!

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Defender had the knifes for the purpose made line cutter/melters like they have at West Marine and other places in the clearance section several years ago. I bought one and put in my fathers old soldering gun circa about 1963.

When I show up at the club with it and offer to cut lines in exchange for beer the bottles are lined up further than I can reach.

It takes days to get that smell out of my head though.

Dec 17, 2015
Thanks guys...glad you found the info useful. Ya know..... I think I could cut rope in exchange for a cold beer! LOL

chp

Sep 13, 2010
Hunter 280 hamilton
Yup I've done the same thing only Weller has some actual tips that can be bent and sharpened to do the job. I cut all my cloth with this. Its fast and does a great job.

Dec 17, 2015
Just an update. I am now using a 2'x5' piece of tempered glass for my cutting surface. It really does help make the cutting faster. I tried using a piece of flat-bar as a guide to slide the cutting tip along to help keep a nice straight line. That did not work out very well. The thin piece of flat bar seems to suck up an amazing amount of heat from the cutting tip. OK...back to free-handing and following the drawn line on the material.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Just an update. I am now using a 2'x5' piece of tempered glass for my cutting surface. It really does help make the cutting faster. I tried using a piece of flat-bar as a guide to slide the cutting tip along to help keep a nice straight line. That did not work out very well. The thin piece of flat bar seems to suck up an amazing amount of heat from the cutting tip. OK...back to free-handing and following the drawn line on the material.
Thanks for the update!!
I started with a soldering iron and modified tip and now use...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor-canvas/canvas-21.html

... a different modified tip to install common sense fasteners and to make cuts with a sharp radius or very short straight cuts but the ....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor-canvas/canvas-index.html

... hot knife with the foot is just so much faster and easier to use on long cuts and the foot allows you to cut on any surface and even off of one. It cuts even faster than if you were to use scissors, which you don't want to use. If you do a lot of projects it is still way worth the cost of purchase. I've never regretted buying one,

Sumner
==============================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Dec 17, 2015
Sumner,
Yep, that is a nice looking tool. I do like the idea of having the foot and being able to cut on any surface...or none at all. :)