disconnect shaft from engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvitt

Oct 30, 2008
na na na
ok, i got all the motor mounts free and disconnected all of the hoses, wiring, etc. all thats left is the shaft. I attached a pic. i've never done this before, but it seems pretty straightforward. I just want to make sure. there are 4 bolts on the forward side and 4 bolts on the aft side of the coupling. and a plastic spacer in the middle. which set of bolts do i need to remove? or both sets? thanks.

b

Attachments

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
You need to take the bolts that are in a circular pattern around the coupler. It will then separate where the plastic insert is (that is something that is a shock absorber spacer to help with shaft vibration dampening). If you are doing this to remove the transmission, then you probably can just move the shaft aft and out of the way and then unbolt the transmission housing from the engine. If it is the shaft you are trying to remove, then you will also have to loosen up the other bolt in the photo that you do not have labelled. There are probably two of them and they are the ones wired in position. They tighten into a detent in the shaft. There also will be a key way and if this half of the coupler does not come off with tapping, then you probably will need a wheel puller to free it from the shaft.

luvitt

Oct 30, 2008
na na na
im just trying to separate the shaft from the engine b/c i am removing the engine. it appears that i will be able to remove the aftward bolts with my impact wrench. im hoping i only need to remove the aft bolts and slide the shaft away from engine. the fwd bolts will be nearly impossible to remove. this is a pile of rust!

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
The bolts on the aft side connect the shaft flange to the flexible coupling, which is that plastic disc. The bolts on the forward side connect the transmission to the flexible coupling. You should therefore be able to separate them by removing just four bolts, probably as you say form the aft side.

If it comes down to sawing/grinding off bolt heads, do it on the aft side. That way the whole mess will come out with the engine and be easier to deal with.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Here's a picture of mine before the second set of bolts went in. Once the engine is out you can use a wheel puller to remove the flange from the shaft. Assuming that you want to take the shaft out of the boat that is. Which you should do so that you can check the stern tube and replace the cutlass bearing.

Attachments

luvitt

Oct 30, 2008
na na na
Perfect! Thanks everyone. And Ed, the pic was worth a thousand words. I got 2 of the four bolts off so far, then it was miller time at the boatyard and that was the end of that! Will try again today.
B

Status
Not open for further replies.