Discharge vs Holding tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Don Edgarson

My Hunter is in a charter fleet, and has been equipped with a valve which allows the head to be pumped into the holding tank or directly discharged into the water. The charter company explains that they don't want to use the holding tank since it creates too much in the way of noxious odors, and how much damage can a couple of people on a charter do in the local bay. I have a big personal problem with that, to say nothing of the legality of the approach. What are my options? What are others' experience?

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

It's your boat...

...Unless you signed something to the contrary, the charter company has no right to add or delete equipment unless something breaks that you don't want to replace. Depending upon the waters, that y-valve may or may not be illegal...even if it is legal to have one, any charter customers who are caught taking advantage of it inside 3 miles are gonna be subject to a heavy fine. If the boat is having odor problems, let's fix the problem...meanwhile, tell the charter co. to remove the y-valve. Of course, they'll reply "we can't rent your boat if we do"...in which case, it's time to find a new charter company. I wonder what else they've modified because they don't want to maintain it...

Status
Not open for further replies.