dirty sails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
How does one clean dirty sails (algae mold) these are still the orginal sails from my 1989 hunter 30

J

John

Sail cleaning and maintenance

There is an excellent article at the sailnet website (www.sailnet.com) called "Sail Care and Cleaning". But... I have taken a friends advise, and paid a sailmaker to do "maintenance" during the winter lay-up. This professional service includes washing the sails in a special cleaning solution that doesn't hurt the sail material, and the sail is then inspected seam-by-seam for damaged or failing stitching. On my original 1983 sails, they ended up replacing the batten pockets. The cost for this service was about $50 per sail, and well worth it in comparison to the cost of new sails.

B

Bob Camarena

SailCare

Check out SailCare (http://www.sailcare.com/about.html). They will clean and re-impregnate your sails with resin, restoring much of the original stiffness of your sails. I had mine done a couple of years ago and they did a great job. Their website quotes $180 for a C-30 main.

M

Mickey Goodman

Sail Care

I used Sail Care last winter to recondition the main on my H37 main sail. They also added new leathers, re-sewed some seams and numbers. The charge was $.85 per sq. feet plus $200 for the sewing and leathers. Well worth the money. I did buy a new Genoa and comparing it to the main as far as color and stiffness it appeared as if the main was as "new" as the Genoa. If you are going to use them I would recommend that you get to them early so there is no question about getting you sail(s) back before next sailing season. Good Luck.

H

Hans Erwich

More Cleaners

I used "Sail Cleaners" of Fort Lauderdale. They did an amazing job for me. Check out their Website before you make a decision. http://www.sailcleaners.com/ Hans.

J

Jeff Taylor

Time to buy new sails

Soft Scrub GEL can help remove mold and mildew. HOWEVER, your most likely ready for new sails. 10 years is along time. Do this Test...Take a sailing needle and poke it through the sail. If you don't hear anything the sail has something left. If it "POPS" you sail is most likely dry rotted like mine were. Sails can be donated to the Boy Scouts in your area and used as a TEEPE and you take the tax deduction!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.