Dipstick thread Yanmar 3GM30F

May 16, 2021
Catalina Catalina 320 Newcastle
Can anyone tell me how to remove this plastic thread that’s broken off from underneath the top of the dipstick? There’s an exhaust hose 3” above restricting access.
BBCE0EA5-84FF-4F26-82FF-3C2A83937925.png

May 16, 2021
Catalina Catalina 320 Newcastle
Thanks. I couldn’t get an ezi out in because of the exhaust hose above, but succeeded with a large screwdriver.
A83533EF-07FC-495F-AC2E-8DF5996CC00F.jpeg

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
I used a knife, which also provided leverage since it was a folder, and the blade sliced into the plastic to provide bite.

Here's the thing though, don't replace the failed one with the same thing. You're just asking for it to happen again in a few years like it has to so many people. Get one from the link below. I know, its expensive, but its the LAST one you'll buy, and you won't get any plastic into your transmission!!

Cariblue Marine

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
My dipper did the same thing at about 12/13 years of age. I wonder about putting a regular bolt as a replacement?

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
My dipper did the same thing at about 12/13 years of age. I wonder about putting a regular bolt as a replacement?
Well, there's the oil level check function you'd be missing, unless the bolt was long and you marked it for the correct level somehow. Also, I think I'd rather have the dipstick threads be aluminum so if I crossthread and strip threads I do it on the replaceable dipstick, not the transmission housing.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Also, I think I'd rather have the dipstick threads be aluminum so if I crossthread and strip threads I do it on the replaceable dipstick, not the transmission housing.
X-mission housing is aluminum so it's a 50/50 chance of who gets cross threaded.

Jan 4, 2006
Get one from the link below. I know, its expensive, but its the LAST one you'll buy, and you won't get any plastic into your transmission!!
The insert plug is plastic for a VERY , VERY good reason. You do NOT want to take the chance of stripping the aluminum X-mission housing thread. The plug is removed and inserted every year of the life of the boat.

Replace the exhaust hose if necessary to offer a clear path for removal of the plug .

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
X-mission housing is aluminum so it's a 50/50 chance of who gets cross threaded.
Didn't realize that - appreciate the education. Personally stil prefer an aluminum dipstick to a disintegrating one dropping plastic into my transmission gears.

Jan 4, 2006
Personally stil prefer an aluminum dipstick to a disintegrating one dropping plastic into my transmission gears.
Just think of the little bits of plastic like the sawdust that the sleazy used car saleman used to pour into the sloppy transmission of the car he was trying to unload. Worked great for the first ten minutes or ten miles, whichever came first.

• Ha
Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I too uses screw driver to remove broken gearbox dipsticks twice. Got a shop to machine me a new dipstick in aluminium according to actual dimension. No more broken plastic dipstick.

Ken Y

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Get one from the link below. I know, its expensive, but its the LAST one you'll buy, and you won't get any plastic into your transmission!!
Cariblue Marine
The Cariblue dipstick is a "work of art," The machining is superb. Made of aluminum; therefore, it should be compatible with the transmission housing. You can actually use the ss shaft dipstick portion from your existing plug and insert it into the Cariblue plug to save a few dollars. The shaft fits perfectly in the new plug.