Weight

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
IMO towing a dink is just an invitation to losing it.
The vast majority of folks in our waters tow their dinks; everything from 8' fiberglass rowing dinks to 35' center consoles behind megayachts. We've towed a RIB with a 15HP two-stroke mounted for 20 years, and have never flipped it, filled it with water, or lost hold of it due to a broken painter. We didn't always, but now we tow with a bridle and dedicated line, and tie the painter to the tow line as a backup. (This came in handy once, when the bridle stitching failed on one side; now it's riveted.)

The prospect of taking the motor off and hauling the boat on board is just not appealing to me, at all. Our "rigging for towing" consists only of rigging the bridle, and tilting up the motor after tightening the steering head. (There's a lever for this.)

We've done this in some hairy conditions, too, and even though I once looked back and saw the bottom of the dink, crossing a large, short-period series of waves, it never flipped or swamped.

Theft is rare here, as far as I can tell.

(By the way, I gladly trade the marginally increased fuel consumption of a 2-stroke over a 4-stroke for the weight savings alone. Mine's 73 lb. A 4-stroke 15 is over 100. I find mixing oil and gas easy - I just keep a small oil bottle with 10 oz. in it and buy 4 gallons of gas at a time, for my 6 gallon tank. I'd rather do this than have to change the oil in a 4-stroke! As for noise, at idle there's a difference, but powered up and going, especially at planing speeds, there's no perceptible difference. I keep two 1999/2000 vintage Mercs going; you have to be an enthusiast for this. I wish Evinrude would introduce a two-stroke E-Tec for the small boat market.)

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
yours isn't that light, but IMHO 106 is close enough.
Excuse me? It's exactly 106lb. Here's the spec. sheet:
http://www.abinflatables.com/boats/ventus-9-vl/
  • Overall length9' 6" / 2,90m
  • Overall Beam5' 7 " / 1,72m
  • Inside Length6' 9" / 2,06m
  • Inside Beam2' 8" / 0,81m
  • Tube Diameter17" / 0,43m
  • Number of Chambers3+1
  • Person Capacity4
  • Weight106lbs / 48kg
  • Recommended HP9,9hp / 7,4kw
  • Maximum HP15hp / 11,2kw
  • Shaft Length15" / 38,1cm
  • RDC Design CategoryC
Disagree about the PVC comment
You are right, I checked and the Mercury Quicksilver 9' PVC RIB is 110lb.

We like to be able to operate the dink at high speed at times, as for cruising to the "boat beach" (allowed, in an unmarked channel in the river), and for expeditions up river.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I wish Evinrude would introduce a two-stroke E-Tec for the small boat market.)
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::clap:

@jviss IMHO you deserve a medal for sailing out of Westport MA. Been in there a few times. For those who don't know it, it's a tricky place. Lots of hazards, a shallow spot at the entrance that can put you down hard in a swell, tricky channel to follow with strong cross currents and shifting shoals, and strong reversing currents in the harbor as the tides change.
Otherwise it is a beautiful place and really worthwhile. The little town and fish market by the commercial fishing docks is like stepping back in time. The marshes up the river are clean and natural -- really beautiful.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Sounds like your looking for something that goes beyond the scope of "getting to shore". My 8ft Zodiac with panel floor and 2.5 Lehr is perfect for "getting to shore". I've raised it on my davits with the motor mounted but wasn't a fan of the weight.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::clap:

@jviss IMHO you deserve a medal for sailing out of Westport MA. Been in there a few times. For those who don't know it, it's a tricky place. Lots of hazards, a shallow spot at the entrance that can put you down hard in a swell, tricky channel to follow with strong cross currents and shifting shoals, and strong reversing currents in the harbor as the tides change.
Otherwise it is a beautiful place and really worthwhile. The little town and fish market by the commercial fishing docks is like stepping back in time. The marshes up the river are clean and natural -- really beautiful.
Thank you, Larry! It's really not so bad, especially if it's your home port. You'd be more impressed, perhaps, to know I sail in and out when the crew cooperates. It is a beautiful place. Yes, watch the depth and currents.

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
I have always towed my dinghies... 20 years... and most boaters around me (also in Buzzard's Bay area) do the same. bringing it onto the boat or installing and dealing with davit structures seems like a headache. If I were sailing to bermuda I wouldn't tow certainly... but for my sails which are typically coastal and less than 4 hours, in daylight and fair weather, towing makes perfect sense. If it's really rough, I'll take the motor off and mount it on my stern rail, otherwise just tipped up (though I do usually take the 3 gallon fuel tank out). I do lose around .5kts or so in boat speed I'm sure, but on a 3 hour sail that's 10 or 15 extra minutes maybe... unless I'm approaching hull speed, in which case the dinghy makes almost no difference. I've got a 10' RIB that's in the neighborhood of 100lbs, (old WM one was just over 10', new Defender one is just under 10') with a 6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke that'll plane with one adult, or (depending on your sizes) one adult and one child... around 250lbs max for planing in my estimation. When the whole family is aboard (2 kids, 2 adults) it's pretty slow, but mostly just getting from a mooring or anchorage back and forth to a dock or a beach... The sailboat and beach are for fun in my life... the dinghy is just to move people/stuff to and from the fun. There's clearly no RIGHT answer to davits vs towing, or dinghy/motor size since it's going to vary wildly based on your use case. As a bonus, I can actually fit my deflated RIB (and motor) inside the back of my SUV with all the seats folded down (except the driver's obviously). and I can carry my outboard with one hand/arm (though awkward and tiring for any significant distance). In theory I could probably flip my dinghy onto the deck of my sailboat, though I've never been tempted. Getting even my fairly modestly-sized dinghy on/off would be enough work to negate any speed benefit. And my family coastal cruises and weekends don't ever happen in 15 foot waves or 50 knot winds, otherwise I'm sure I wouldn't feel the same about towing.
P.S. @jviss Westport is on my list of harbors to visit... never been, though we're often around Cuttyhunk and Buzzard's Bay in general, so not terribly far. We're up in near Scraggy Neck and Bassett's Island in Catuamet, MA.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
P.S. @jviss Westport is on my list of harbors to visit... never been, though we're often around Cuttyhunk and Buzzard's Bay in general, so not terribly far. We're up in near Scraggy Neck and Bassett's Island in Catuamet, MA.
Let me know if you're ever headed this way!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Tohatsu is the major manufacturer, the sell under their own name and other brands, such as Nissan and Mercury. I've had 2 of their motors and was not overly impressed.

I have heard good things about Yamaha and Honda.

As others have said, with regards to HP, there is a trade off between weight, boat speed, and challenges manhandling the motor. I have an 8' Achilles RIB with a Mercury 4 HP. it is a comfortable and pretty dry boat, but I haven't gotten it to plane. The again, I seldom go more than a few hundred yards. If you get a single bottom RIB, you will be surprised at the volume it can carry and it will be lighter than a RIB with a flat floor.

Weight is important. If you go to the beach you'll have to drag the boat to get it above the tide line or back to the water at low tide, easier to drag a 90lb boat with a 70# motor than a 110 # boat with a 90# motor.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I should recap and be more in depth. The dinghy I was looking at was 11ft or 12ft and it had a 25hp engine mounted. It had the steering column. It was on the show room floor. I was told from the sales person it weighed about 300-350.

After reading everyones comments we are rethinking to a smaller engine but would like to keep the size of the dinghy in the 9-10ft to give us more space when sporting around islands and loading gear on. We are looking at the Highfield. Any thoughts on engine brands. Would 20hp be over whelming or is 15 hp plenty enough for a 9-10 and holding 4 adults?

Also thank you to everyone who has commented and saved us from a huge mistake!
We have a 9 ft RIB wit a 15 hp 2 stroke Yamaha. The whole rig weighs about 250 lb, including a bunch of gear in the locker. I carry her on davits underway with the motor attached. She will plane with 4 adults or my wife and I with our 2 dogs. The engine is 11 years old and runs like new.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I installed dinghy davits on my Hunter 386 and stowed my 9'6" 74 lb Achilles LEX with 50 lb 3.5 hp outboard on it (see photo) while sailing all the time in SF Bay high winds and coastal swells for many years with no stability issues, no loss in visibility and very convenient to launch and stow. Since I just sold them with my 386 I now have a lightweight/waterproof Torqeedo 503 with a long range 915 Wh battery electric motor mounted on the stern rail and lightweight roll up dinghy stowed on the deck until I decide to install davits.

Attachments

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Would 20hp be over whelming or is 15 hp plenty enough for a 9-10 and holding 4 adults?
This may sound like a personal question, but how big are the adults? As with small airplanes, it makes a difference.

You should check on the maximum horsepower the boat will accept, and also the max weight for a motor, and the recommended motor size.

You should also evaluate how you'd like to use it. Is planing with four adults aboard important?

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Although I never sail alone, all my eqpt including dinghy is spec for single person handling. My What if... I'm hurt, can my wife children handle, if not it's out. Get something else. What if no one can help me ....can I manage it alone? Yes, then it's in. Etc..etc..

Ken Y

Oct 1, 2007
This may sound like a personal question, but how big are the adults? As with small airplanes, it makes a difference.

You should check on the maximum horsepower the boat will accept, and also the max weight for a motor, and the recommended motor size.

You should also evaluate how you'd like to use it. Is planing with four adults aboard important?
Basically, 15 hp is now off the table since the "ban" on 2 stroke engines. The 15 hp Yamaha is almost 100 lb!!! Waaaayyy too heavy. If I were buying a dinghy now I'd be looking at maybe an 8 hp so I could pick the thing up and forget about going fast.

Oct 1, 2007
It's 111 lb.
Aaarrrggghh. My 15 2 stroke weighs around 80 lb. I never felt older than the day I brought the 15 into the dealer for winter service. Guy sent his son out to get the motor out of my Jeep. He picked it up like it weighed 10 lb after my wife and I bulled the thing into the Jeep.....very humbling...forget 111 lb

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I see that you are deflating you're dinghy?
Yes. 15 minutes to inflate with pump.
We let it deflate with over time when done, and its normal state.

The Canvas protector fits the inflated Dinghy.;)
We could leave it inflated all the time on deck stowage.
Jim...