Dinghy Lights

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I think I may have started a thread on this topic 10 or so years ago, but I regret to report that apparently nothing has changed. They all suck!

I'm starting a cruise this week and there are places I'm going, like Newport, RI, where I really want lights on the dink. It seems most folks with small boats and RIBS eschew lights; in fact, many aren't even registered. But not only do I want to comply with the regs, I don't want to get run down!

I had purchased what I thought was a great combo maybe ten years ago, but they have turned to crapola. I just ordered a cheap set. I'll see how they do.

My dream setup will be LED bow and stern lights that are fixed to the RIB with sheets of Hypalon, and channels covered with Hypalon leading to a switch on the seat and a Li-Ion battery. The ultimate addition would be a switched spotlight pointing forward for finding the big boat. But, I never seem to get around to this project!

Here's what I just bought:

Pactrade white light.jpg

Pactrade Marine Black Housing Navigation Light Inflatable Boat Surface Mount Adhesive Base LED 3 AA Battery Operated (White with Base Mounts)

Pactrade red green light.jpg

Pactrade Marine Boat LED Portable Bi-Color Port/Starboard inflatables Navigation Light Battery Operated Suction Mount

(I have zero confidence in the suction mount, I will figure out a way to lash this, using the tow ring and the inside hoisting ring. Or maybe just glue it!)

Wondering, what do others do?

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Navisafe makes a line of lights that were designed for the purpose. They are not cheap.
But, they meet Coast Guard specs. They do stand behind their product. My all around white light stopped working. I sent it back. They replaced it free of charge. Not sure if that policy still goes. They also have mounts for various applications.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Navisafe makes a line of lights that were designed for the purpose. They are not cheap.
But, they meet Coast Guard specs. They do stand behind their product. My all around white light stopped working. I sent it back. They replaced it free of charge. Not sure if that policy still goes. They also have mounts for various applications.
Huh! That's what I had! Yea, both my red/green and white lights failed. I wonder where they are....

One thing, I don't care for how they project vertically. I lost one red/green when the glue for the pad let go, and the second one failed, too, but I had tethered the light so I recovered it. The plastic receptacle for the white that I screwed to the outboard cover turned ugly after a couple of years in the sun.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY

That's what I have. Work well, except the post for the stern light can be a bit difficult to install and remove.