Digital Communications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 12, 2008
Jeanneau 49 DS San Pedro, CA
Got a question for those with a Pactor modem on their boats. I got the Pactor modem up and running and the e-mail works great through Winlink. If I read the info on the modem and Airmail software correctly, there is a way to communicate boat-to-boat digitally using the software and the modem. Does anyone use this function out there and can you walk me through it??

Thanks!

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter Legend 35.5 Washington
I purchased a Pactor II USB modem and hooked it up at home so I would be well versed on it when we move to the boat. It work great for Navtex, E-Mail and Wefax. I use a Signalink usb modem to run packet for keyboard to keyboard Tx. I found that pactor and packet are seperate animals. Pactor does not have the following that they thought it would when it was released, so as far as programs involving other modes of operation you will find little if any support. If you are a licenced ham you could download any number of good Packet programs and for basic communications you can use a laptop with a sound card to accomplish this. If you go to http://youtube.com and look for K7AGE you will see the videos he published showing how you can do this yourself. For me seeing was better than reading a description and implimenting it. I still haven't moved to the boat full time and am almost always in WIFI range so the Pactor modem is collecting dust. I almost use the Signalink modem daily to converse with friends made around the world. Packet radio has quite a following and many a ham has wrote computer code to access the various modes from PSK, Hellshriber, RTTY and even Morse code. I hope this helps...

Fair Winds,

Bill

Mar 12, 2008
Thanks Bill. I'll have to take a look.

I have the Pactor modem on board and use it a lot when away from the dock for e-mail. A couple of friends just installed modems on their boats and are getting ready to leave to go cruising around the world. The thought was to use the peer-to-peer feature to keep in touch at least for the first few legs of the trip.

As a side question then, how many out there are doing any form of digital communications and what form are you using? I was also going to give PSK-31 a shot as well.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
I could not find any support for peer-to-peer using pactor. The developement of computer programs beyond the previously stated applications have not been actively persued. I believe that this is due to the ham radio community not wanting to outlay so much capitol for the modem. You can do most mode with an acoustic coupling or a patch cable using your computers sound card. This provided more hams the ability to communicate and increased the intrest of Digital modes. When I purchased mine I thought it was mighty expensive and with 100% error correction it would be the mode most likely adopted. "It does a great job at what it does." I also thought that a high end modem "would cover all the bases." I was so wrong. I wish you luck in your endeavor and hope you will share any knowledge contrary to my statements. I would like to see this modem do more than it does and I know it should very well be capable of it. I'm hoping for a good program and support for such a program.

73 Fair Winds,

Bill

Mar 12, 2008
Bill, according to the Airmail FAQ's, the software can do a lot more than just send e-mails. Two of the functions we were looking at was the peer-to-peer communication and the message forwarding. Kind of funny that not that many people use the modem for that, as the Pactor modem seems to be the choice on boats. I know I have found it to be highly reliable for e-mail communications. And the software even assits in taking out the guesswork on propagation. So I've been able to send my e-mails with photo attachments with little problem. I guess the issue is cost, as the Pactor is not cheap. It certainly is cheaper to do other digital modes such as PSK-31.

Jan 22, 2008
Karl,

Have you discovered how to do the peer to peer operation. I couldn't find the information to support how to do this. The airmail program will let to switch to keyboard mode and will show propogation forcasts for various stations. I couldn't figure out how to connect to stations with bulletin boards or Freqs available for general chit chat.

Packet is more poular due to cost. If you should happen to come across the information regarding peer to peer pactor let me know and I'll dust off my modem and give it a try.

73, Fair Winds

Bill

Mar 12, 2008
I did a cut and paste off of the Winlink FAQ's. This is the instructions that were given for setting up Airmaill2000 software to do peer-to-peer communications.

AirMail – Peer-to-Peer - Setup
Q5000 What is “Peer-to-Peer”?​
A5000 Peer-to-Peer is a process by which two radio stations, using AirMail, connect to each
other without using any of the WL2K infrastructures. The two stations can exchange
messages “automatically” using the B2F forwarding protocol (Handshake) or exchange
information in a conversational mode (Keyboard).​
Q5020 How do I set up AirMail to do Peer-to-Peer, using the Packet Client module?​
A5020 Go to Tools.....Options…..Autoanswer. Make sure that “Accept Incoming Connects” is
checked. . Just connect to the other station, as if you were connecting to a RMS Packet
or RMS Pactor station. If you want to exchange information conversationally, select the
Keyboard mode.​
Q5040 How do I set up AirMail to do Peer-to-Peer, using the HF Terminal module?​
A5040 You need to create a new “System”. Use any name other than “Ham”.
1. Go to View….Station List (Systems will be selected)
2. Select “New”
3. Enter a new system name of your choice…..then Ok
4. Select the NEWSYSTEMNAME…..Settings
5. Enter your Callsign…….then Ok
6. Close AirMail, then Open AirMail
7. Go to Tools…Options….Settings. Select the tab for your new system. Make sure that
the B2F box is checked.
You also need to add the Peer-to-Peer HF stations to which you will be connecting to the
NEWSYSTEMNAME system.
1. Go to View….Station List….NEWSYSTEMNAME
2. Select “New”
3. Enter the callsign of the first Peer-to-Peer station…..then OK
4 The NEWCALLSIGN will then be Selecting in the Station List
5. Select “Settings”
6. Enter information about this new callsign…..then Ok.
7. Repeat for additional new stations.
8. Close HF Terminal
9. Open HF Terminal
The passive station “being connected to needs to have “Accept Incoming Connects”
checked. See Q5020.​

Mar 12, 2008
On a sidenote for all those that have a Pactor modem, there is a firmware update out for the modem, version 4.0. The easiest place to get the update is to download it from Dockside Radio:

http://www.docksideradio.com/

The link is on the Home Page, and the instructions are there. If you have questions, Gary the owner of Dockside is great to work with and I highly recommend his business. And if you are looking to purchase a Pactor modem, his prices are very competitive.

On a sidenote though, be ready for issues in updating your firmware if you are using Vista. It was a royal PITA with Vista. I can hardly wait for the new operating system so I can dump this mess.

Jan 22, 2008
Thanx Karl,

Looks like the information out there has improved since I moved on to code and packet. I'll have to study up. Never to old to learn something new, just got tired of beating myself up hunting down information that should be easy to access. Brings up a whole lot of questions for me so time for me to do some more research. I look forward to our first Pactor QSO....

73, Fair Winds,

Bill

Mar 12, 2008
No problem. I should be ready when you are. I was also experimenting with the fax setup. The version of Airmail2000 that I have has everything rolled up in one neat software package. Makes the process automatic.

Mar 12, 2008
Ok, I think I finally got it figured out.

1. First you have to follow the instructions that I posted above to add a new system name to the Stations List (View>Station List>New). The name can be anything other than "HAM" or "SAIL". Once you have the System Name in place, select the new system and click on settings.

2. Next you have to add the stations to the new system, using the call sign as the name of the station. While still in the Station List screen, simply highlight the system name and click on New. A window will pop up and ask for the call sign of the new station. Add the new station call sign and hit OK. This will add the call sign to your new system.

3. While on the new system and have the station list expanded to see all the stations, highlight the call sign and click on Settings. This will bring up a window where you can put in some personal data regarding the call sign, and make a frequency list. List the frequencies that you intend to use in the big box to the right. Click on ok when done, and you can list multiple frequencies for each call sign.

4. Save all your settings. Click on Tools>Options>AutoAnswer and make sure the Accepts Incoming Connects box is checked. When frinished close Airmail down completly.

When you restart Airmail, click on the Terminal window. Click the arrow on the drop down menu to the left, and you will find your e-mail system AND your new system. Select your new system, and in the drop down menu in the middle, you can select the station. The last drop down menu on the right contains the frequencies that were listed with that station. And you are ready to go!

Ps. These instructions apply to the latest version of Airmail2000, version 3.4.034

Status
Not open for further replies.