Diesel heater exhaust placement?

Dec 31, 2022
Catalina 30 Long Beach
Hello fellow C30’s,

I would like to put one of those cheap Chinese diesel heaters in my 1978 C30. I want to have the heat duct outlet in the salon, likely coming out near the engine or near the holding tank.

My main concern is where to place the exhaust pipe

Where do you suggest I install the exhaust?

Any and all comments welcome.

Thanks!
Andy
SailingSole

PS - checkout my YouTube channel!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I would follow the manufacturer's recommendations. If they do not have them the look at Espar's recommendations.

• Helpful
Dec 31, 2022
Catalina 30 Long Beach
I would follow the manufacturer's recommendations. If they do not have them the look at Espar's recommendations.
Thank you for the feedback but I haven’t found any info on their website that is relevant to my question.
I was hoping to hear from other owners who have installed diesel heaters on their boats.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Andy,
One of the benefits of those Chinese "cheap" heaters is the price. One of the draw backs is lack of information about system and how to configure it into your boat.

You can look at other manufacturers for ideas. But they will be biased to the function of their system.

There is some common wisdom developed by others who have experimented.
The exit for your exhaust is best placed in the aft quarter on either side of the boat. This is to reduce the possibility heater fumes (smoke) back winding onto the boat as you zoom along.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
In sailboats, it is recommended to install it in the transom. The installation always requires a so-called goose neck. Make the necessary installation cut-outs and spread a suitable sealing agent on both sides of the seal and on the screw holes. This will ensure that the connection is waterproof Spartans-Manual-DE-21-Mar.pdf (scanmarineusa.com).

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
From Scan Marine USA
1677168936551.png

1677168770590.png

In discussion with the engineer at Scan Marine, he suggested the side of the boat had worked out better for boat owners. What is not an option is the height of the loop and the height of the exhaust above the water. Failure with those measurments means water will get into the heater and destroy the unit.

• Helpful
Dec 31, 2022
Catalina 30 Long Beach
From Scan Marine USA
View attachment 213244
View attachment 213243

In discussion with the engineer at Scan Marine, he suggested the side of the boat had worked out better for boat owners. What is not an option is the height of the loop and the height of the exhaust above the water. Failure with those measurments means water will get into the heater and destroy the unit.
Thank you. This is some valuable information that I can use. I really appreciate the time you've taken to give this advice.

Now if anyone out there has any information specific to a Catalina 30 that they can offer that would be great.

Thanks again! Cheers, Andy

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
By the time you're done fiddling with the Chinese heater and making it safe for marine use you could have bought a quality unit BTDT.

* A Marine specific unit has different fuel line, not plastic. Plastic fuel linesdo not meet ABYC, USCG or minimum standards your insurance company may want to see depending upon where you are..

*Marine units have marine specific software to minimize lock outs. On trucks they know where the fuel tanks are in comparison to the fuel metering pump. Not so on boats so the software is different.

*The truck kits (Chinese) comes with very little duct hose & less supply/return outlets/inlets

*The truck kits do not come with exhaust lagging.

*The Chinesetruck kit does not come with double walled marine SS exhaust hose it is single wall and not recommended as safe for marine use.

*The Chinese truck kit does not come with the exhaust fitting for the transom

*The Chinese truck kit does not come with a marine mounting bracket, they mount them on a floor. Floor mount is steel not SS.

*Marine units such as Espar & Webasto or Wallas use a larger duct hose diameters and heater outlets to make up for the longer runs in boats.

*Chinese units kits don't come with exhaust condensate drains

I would urge you to buy the unit from whomever will stand behind it and service it locally. I would also not install an Espar without the digimax thermostat. These stats allow you to re-set codes and trouble shoot the codes. The service tool for this cost over $1000.00 and the Digi-Max D-1000 stat costs under $100.00

I would also not advise a tee into an existing fuel line. The fuel metering pumps need the small diameter pick up the Espar ships with, or a custom one with small ID, or they tend to lock out and cause problems especially on boats that heel and the pick up may expose.

In short our experience with Chinese diesel heaters was abysmal...

• Helpful