Diesel Fuel Filling Opening Size

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Danny Davus

I have used two marinas where the size of the diesel nozzel is too large to fit in the filler opening on the 350. A friend with a sister ship had the same experience. Catalina did not recognize this as a problem when I notified them. I decided to take my own survey--please let me know if you have had the same problem and if you have found a workable, safe solution.

T

Tim

Standard Fuel fitting

The fitting worked just fine for me. It looks just like a standard diesel fuel fitting that I've seen on many boats. I did notice that my fuel dock pumps at a very high rate and I paid close attention to not severely overfill the tank. At that pumping speed it make a mess real quick. Those stinkpotter boats with the 500 gal tanks must appreciate the high flow, but they also burn my measley 39 gallons before breakfast. Tim C350 #68 "April IV"

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
C350 Info

Danny My understanding is that the new C350 Association has started their own technical and boat info on Sailnet. Why not go over there and ask them? It sounds unusual for Catalina to make smaller diesel fill ports on new C350s after making something like 20,000 boats, hope you're wrong. When you find out, come back and let us know. Stu

J

John

When the dealer took my wife and out out on our 350 for the shake-down/orientation cruise at the end of March, the first stop was the fuel dock near our marina in Annapolis to fill up the tank. Our dealer indicated that the dock had two fuel pumps, one of which was too large for the fill opening and one of which was not, and indicated that I should always dock near the correct opening. With a 39-gallon tank, I've got close to 25 hours on the engine and the fuel guage is still above the half-full mark. So as a practical matter, I most likely won't have to fill up my tank very often. So I don't view this as a problem for my boat, at least not in the foreseeable future.

C

Chris Hyland

Fuel Pumps

Some very large boats have very large tanks. I've seen big Vikings take 1100 gallons of fuel! I've also seen them filled up by oil trucks like the ones that come to your house! I'm sure these fuel pumps with large nozzles are for these big fillup jobs. I have a C36 and have never had a problem. Regards, Chris

J

Jack

My C-36 Experience is

that some of the new nozzels are bigger than the old. The new ones won't go down all the way into the deck fitting but it is possible to refuel with them by carefully holding them just starting into the opening.

T

Tom Soko

Two Different Sizes

I agree with John. Our local marina has two different sized nozzles. One is the larger, "high speed" pump designed for the big guys, the other is the normal pump. The normal easily fits into my C36.

R

Russ, C36 #206

Oil truck at your house????

What the heck is an "oil truck" doing at your house? Russ Kemah, Texas

E

Eddie

Not a problem in Texas....

I know it's not much of an issue in Texas, but many folks around the country heat their homes with fuel oil. The truck comes around a couple times a year and fills the tank.

B

Bill

Depends on pump

I have fill twice now and the first marina was no problem, the pump nozzel fit fine. The second time however the nozzel was larger and it did fit very well.

C

cmhyland

Oil Truck

Russ, We use #2 heating fuel in the North East to heat our homes... #2 heating fuel and Deisel are the same thing minus road use taxes... Regards, Chris

T

Tim Leighton

FUEL FILTERING

Danny: I've always used a funnel when transfering fuel to my sailboats to solve the fuel nozzle size problem. It also made it easier to add fuel. Then, after taking on a "bad batch" of fuel on our old boat (an 85 H31, we now have a '02 C-400), I started using one of the West Marine fuel filters that were highly rated in a recent issue of Practical Sailor Magazine. It works like a champ, keeping water and particulate matter (dirt) from the Racor/engine filters. It is also a fraction the price of the "Baja" filter long favored by long distance cruisers. Even though I still change filters every year, the filters look almost new at each change. The large funnel/filter is less than $30 (and occasionally on sale) and is worth every penny. Hope this helps. Tim Leighton S/V "Magic" S. Chesapeake Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.