Diesel Engine Shaft Seal Packing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
I have a 1976 Yanmar diesel engine that should have the shaft resealed before it leaves the hard of three years (salt water) and splashes in my lake in a week.

Anything I need to know before I try replacing the packing material in the seal?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
There are plenty of how-to instructions on the internet. It's an easy job assuming you are referring to repacking the flax and can be done in the water with little water intrusion if you don't get it done before launch

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
Is it a matter of adding more and not having to remove what is there, to put in new or additional?

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Assuming you are not talking about the engine oil seal on the shaft. If it is the shaft seawater packing gland then DO NOT just add more packing, replace it all.

May 24, 2004
Hunter 33.5 Portsmouth, RI
You will probably need to get a "Flax Extractor" tool - usually looks like a small cork screw. There is a flat washer in the packing gland you have to get out after removing the packing nut. There is Flax packing and Teflon Impregnated Flax packing. I like and use the Teflon Impregnated Flax. To confirm the correct size, measure the ID of the gland and the OD of the shaft. Subtract the shaft Dimension from the gland ID and divide by 2 to get the packing size. Fit each ring of flax packing around the shaft and cut on a 45 degree angle. There will be 3 flax rings to go in with the cut lines staggered about 120 degrees apart so they don't line up. Push the flat washer in place and then the packing nut. Hand tighten the nut and then turn it with a packing wrench about 2 "flats" on the nut. If you want to make it dripless, then for the middle ring use the green Teflon putty that is available at W.M. and others - that's what I use. You can then maintain a dry bilge, unless you get leaking from somewhere - a good indicator of some leaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.