Dieless Crimpers?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Wondering if anyone has experience using dieless crimpers for heavy gauge (2/0) battery cable, and how they compare to crimpers with dies.

I know @Maine Sail recommends the FTZ 94284, and the only hydraulic crimper he mentions is the Temco TH0005. I guess I’m wondering about the difference in crimp quality between the FTZ ($130), TH0005 ($170), TH0006 ($150) and TH1818 dieless ($90).

Feb 26, 2023
Cal, Neptune 2-25, N24 Lake Pepin
Die less crimpers give variable results, based on exact force you use. I’ve used Harbor Freight’s hydraulic crimper ($70) extensively on #2 wire (and many other sizes) with excellent results

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
I use both the FTZ and Temco crimpers. I occasionally use the Quick cable right angle lugs which requires some translation with the Temco crimper. I've been curious about the dieless crimpers as well.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
This what we used for 2/0 wire.

IMG_0699.jpeg

note the Anti Ox and first error.

We got it right the 2nd time.
Jim...

PS: Under the Arm type Crimper.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up taking the easy way out and just getting the cables pre-made. By the time I priced out the cables, terminals, and heat shrink it would’ve been more than just the pre-made ones. The crimpers and experience with them seems like a good thing to have in life in general, but I couldn’t justify the cost and having something extra to store for such an infrequent use.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
As we were connecting up our new 9kw Kohler diesel generator, our 2500 watt starter needed an 2/0 extension.

Lucky my Son-in-Law, ABYC electrician, had that Crimper[$40] he got on Amazon.

I will soon post that on my Boat Restoration page.

Final connections done this week.:biggrin:
Jim...

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I purchased a hydraulic crimper through Northern Tools for considerably less than the prices you quoted. It has worked perfectly on all the 0/ size battery cables down to size 8 over the last 12 years. I've also used it on topping lift and davit wire. I like it best because I can use it one handed.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
An old Hot Rodders trick is to use a nut cracker with a dulled point.

I've seen it done and makes great crimps.

I'll look for descriptions on how it is done.

Dec 4, 2018
Balboa 27 Denver
The eternal problem we have here is that it is not possible to know a good crimp unless you cut a few in half and see if the cold welding process was successful in all cases and a pretty cramp is not a good cramp. I guess you can ASSUME if it looks good from the outside you can bet your life on it. I use a FTZ during projects and their lugs and carry a hydraulic one for underway for emergencies. MaineSail doesn't recommend stuff just to spend money, I'd go with his recommendation unless you like playing roulette.