Did I winterize right?

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Just winterized my MD-25XPB for the first time and wonder if I did it right.
We ran 6 3/4 gallons of anti freeze thru the raw water pump that took over 2 1/2 minutes at idle.
When I winterized my Volvo sterndrive the engine had two petcocks that drained water from the engine block that would first drain the engine and then after adding the anti freeze I would use them to check that the anti freeze was correct. As far as I can tell the 25xpb does not have any engine block petcocks so where could I check the raw water anti freeze? I was thinking maybe the heat exchanger zinc anode could be used?
Thanks for any quidance.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
With nearly 7 gallons you should be fine. Always better to suck in too much, rather than too little.

A sight refractometer can be used to determine when you've sucked enough. The refractometer readings from the exhaust outlet should match a fresh sample from the bottle...

Sep 23, 2009
Thank you. With the engine now shut down, how can I get a sample to measure?

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Just wondering why on non-closed (raw water pick up) system, anti-freeze must be added? In my 37 years of owning boats I have never done this and I lived in the Midwest. I would fog the engine and then drain the engine block and all the hoses. Never had an issue. My Ysm12 is my first diesel so I want to do this right. It has a petcock to drain the block....draining of all water is not enough?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Just wondering why on non-closed (raw water pick up) system, anti-freeze must be added? In my 37 years of owning boats I have never done this and I lived in the Midwest. I would fog the engine and then drain the engine block and all the hoses. Never had an issue. My Ysm12 is my first diesel so I want to do this right. It has a petcock to drain the block....draining of all water is not enough?
Depends on the engine. On the Volvo MD7a the cooling water cools the transmission first and then is pumped up through the engine block once the thermostat opens, from there it goes into the exhaust and the water lift muffler.

Draining the block does not drain the transmission or the muffler, so it is necessary to run enough antifreeze to fill the transmission cooling system and the muffler.

Jan 13, 2011
Hunter 33 (78 Cherubini) Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD
While at the Annapolis Boat Show Last Week...

...I talked with the Yanmar representative about winterizing my 2QM15. He suggested that pulling the water pump hose as it entered the engine was a great way to drain water from a raw/fresh water cooled engine.

Once that was done, to run the normal boat/RV winterizing anti-freeze through the engine. Each meted offers a good level of protection, but both methods (used together) were the best approach.

IMHO

Sep 23, 2009
Thank you all.
I have ordered a sight refractometer. As soon as it arrives I hope to draw a sample fro the water lift muffler. Should help me relax over the winter.