Dickinson Newport P12000 install in 2004 Hunter 44DS

Jun 18, 2013
Hunter 44DS East Greenwich, RI
I am considering installing the Dickinson Newport P12000 in my 2004 Hunter 44DS. The install seems quite straightforward. However, I am looking for advise regarding finishing the PVC liner around the chimney. Dickinson Tech Support suggests just leaving the liner gap but I am concerned that the liner will sag which will look terrible. I am thinking about making a ring out of 1/4” plywood with an ID that is 1” larger than the OD of the chimney pipe and an OD equal to ID + 2“. I can then paint the ring to match the liner color.

I am hoping that an other Hunter owner that has a boat with a similar liner has a recommendation or better idea.

Looking forward to your comments.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
No wet blanket intended here, but we've had a Wallas forced air diesel furnace for years and it works great during our off season cruising experiences.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I don't know your installation, but I think the idea of the gap is to get cooling air around the chimney.

• Helpful

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The Dickerson is a nice unit.
You indicate your desire to live aboard. This usually requires adequate heats source 365 days. Propane while convenient it does not hold the heat energy, in as compact a form, as diesel. Propane carries along with it a flammable risk not associated with diesel.

The immediate advantage is cost. Propane heaters are lower cost. At present propane is more cost per BTU. Pay me a little now pay me more over time.

I sail in the PacificNW, you at nearly the same latitude in the NorthEast. It gets cold in the winter. Like @Terry Cox I have installed a Wallas Forced air heater. Yes it is 3 times the cost of a Dickerson to install, yet it provides nearly endless warm air at about 90 to 110ºF into the cabin. Insulation helps to mitigate the penetrating cold of winter. Even knowing my boat leaks heat like a sieve, I can walk around in the deep winter in a tee shirt aboard the boat.

Love my Wallas. It makes winter sailing enjoyable.

• Helpful