Determining KM35A marine gear oil level.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Yes, definitely check the transmission spec plate for oil requirements, I use Delo non detergent 30W oil in mine. The consensus for checking oil is to seat the dipstick cap on the gear box housing without screwing it in, to check oil level. Can’t say that I have actually read that in a Yanmar manual, however that’s the advice that I got from a couple of mechanics. Regardless, I would prefer to have a little too much rather than not enough oil in the box. It’s damned hard to see the oil line on the dipstick, so after wiping the oil from the stick and reinserting, I roll the stick on a clean paper towel to aid in visualizing the level as the oil will have a slight tinted color. Got that tip from a mechanic also.
Yep, the cariblue dipstick is a work of art! Purchased one earlier this year. Has all the necessary vents just like the original. There are two purchase options; you can purchase the entire dipstick, as Rome did, or save a few $ and purchase the cap only and use the ss steel tube from the oem plastic cap. The ss tube simply pushes out thru the top of the plastic cap. Still expensive but you’ll never have to worry about the plastic cap breaking or cross threading. I know, it’s hard to understand the excitement over a dipstick; however, You’ve really got to see this thing in person, the workmanship is phenomenal!!

Last edited: