Details on reefing the 170

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jim o

Are there diagrams or specific descriptions on reefing procedure for the 170? The owners manual from my 2006 has nothing. I think I remember a post earlier about adding a something to make it better. But a search of the archive hasn't yielded anything. Thanks,

J

Jim D.

H-17 owners manual

In response to your query re: reefing the Hunter 17....I've only used my new boat once, but can see that the manual is not very adequate in instructing a new owner this precise procedure.....nor in much else for that matter! It's as though they consider the boat very generic, and everyone an expert rigger, etc. My Hobie 14 and Sunfish manuals cover ten times the material, with real photos of real people doing the described tasks. I know I've been no help, but I do thank you for allowing me to vent.....maybe I'll email Hunter.

D

David

reefing directions

There are images and previous descriptions somewhere in the archives. But the technique I use is: My 170 came with a long black line (reefing line) tied to the aft end of the boom on the port side. With the sail raised, this line is run up through the reefing cringle (the grommet reinforced hole on the leech of the main sail), down the other side of the sail to the small block/pulley on the starboard side of the boom. Run the line through the block from back to front then through the jam cleat, which is about midway down the boom (still on the starboard side). Don't tighten yet. Then you can run the red line (the luff reefing line), which is tied to the port side of the mast, up through the reefing cringle on the luff of the mainsail, down to the upper cleat on the starboard of the mast. Don't tighten. Now lower the main until you can cleat the luff and leech reefing lines. Once these are tight, increase tension on the main halyard until all is tight. Then go back and tie off the reefing points, being sure to only tie up the lower, now loose, portion of the main sail to clean things up - DO NOT TIE THESE AROUND THE BOOM. I hope this clarifies things a bit. These directions probably don't make much sense unless you are standing in the boat, so print out and take to your boat to follow step by step with directions in hand. Once you have succeeded in doing it, it is MUCH easier subsequent times. Anyone else able to describe it more clearly? I will try to remember to take photos next time I am up at the boat in a couple of weeks. I do wish the directions that came with the boat were better, but this website is a great way to get these questions answered. Good luck and enjoy your boat!

Status
Not open for further replies.