Destepping the Mast

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kathleenkaty

Purchased a 1984 Lancer 27 PS based on photos and discussions with owners' rep. Haven't seen it. DID download the owners' manual (thank you Brian) but cannot
determine if this mast can be destepped. My transporter needs it down; the marina
rep say he doesn't know if it COMES down. Help! It is for pickup Friday morning.
Any info for me? Thanks.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Yes, it can be demasted

There are procedures for removing a mast in the Lancer 28 Boat Info. Download the L28 manual and there is a section on how to raise the mast. Just reverse the process and the mast should come down. Be very careful as it is very tall. Stay away from any pole either electrical or phone, trees, buildings, and everything else.

Good luck. I'd like to see photos of the boat when you have time.

K

Kathleenkaty

Destep away!

Thanks so much Brian. I actually have your Takara photos in my new file so I
a goal to shoot for...Plan on taking photos over the next couple of weeks and will certainly post. Kathleen

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
I just love marinas...

...it seems like half of them won't touch a sailboat with a ten foot pole and the other half shouldn't be allowed to touch one.

Story time.

I was out of time and needed to move my boat 180 miles. I had just done the cutless bearing, repacked the stuffing box, replaced the hose, etc...and have a noticeable ringing sound at low RPM, that is probably shaft related. I had also run out of time to do more routine maintenance. My hired Captain also insisted I have a "professional mechanic" look at it before we left. So I arranged toey to have my fluids and filters changed and the boat test driven by a mechanic at a local marina with a good reputation (expensive, but good I was told) to evaluate any issues with the alignment.

About $650 bucks at $92/hr and I got on board to fine that the engine and transmission had been overfilled and their test drive (2 guys at $92/hr for an hour) was a waste of time.."yep...the mechanic heard the sound too and doesn't know what it is." Our departure was delayed an hour while I siphoned the extra fluids out of the engine and transmission. Very nice people at the marina who helped me out in a pinch, but I still half think I should complain about it and ask for a discount.

End of rant.

The relevant point is...a blind monkey with a rudimentary knowledge of sailboats would know in half a second that the mast on that boat is designed to come down and come down routinely due to its deck mounted tabernacle.

You might try local crane services. I also heartily recommend that you post a question on "ask all sailors" on the main site (sailboatowers.com) listing the location and marina and asking for help and advice. Please note that you need to make arrangements with the transporter regarding responsibilities for securing the mast. They often leave that to the owner and if you won't be there and nobody does it expect to lose a lot of paint off the mast, if it is painted and not padded properly. It is a common shipping issue.

K

Kathleenkaty

Destep mystery solved

Yes, I was wondering "Is it ME???" The boat arrived with the mast properly
secured/destepped--great transporter out of Miami called Boats Away.
She was lowered into the water and it was love at first float...took
a professional captain along with us to be sure everything was secure and off we went to her new home in Vero. And OUR marina, with a reputation of a 2 year
wait for a slip, had a nice, well located slip for us on arrival...see?? Wasn't that NICE???? K.

Feb 17, 2006
Good for you Katheleen

Welcome to the world of Lancer boats. Hope you enjoy your boat as much as I enjoy mine. Happy sailing.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
I'll be over for a sail Xmas ;-)

My parents live in Port St. Lucie.

Seriously though, congratulations on your new boat. Even for a somewhat more experienced sail boater what you went through causes plenty of anxiety.

We bought our boat end of May. It initially flunked survey and the owner had to fix some bulkhead rot. Then I had to decide to truck it or sail it 180 miles. The marina it was at didn't "do" sailboats and didn't have the means to drop the mast (a very serious extrusion compared to my old Lancer 25). I couldn't see paying another yard to haul it, drop the mast etc...including trucking it would have cost me around $2500. The joke was on me though...I ended up spending far more than that getting it ready for the three day trip, but at least the money went into the boat right?

The professional Captain was a good way to go. You can find one for $250/day up here and it is typically worth the money just for what you learn during the trip.

The 27PS is a great choice for your location. Brian has a small outboard on his, but were I you I'd be tempted to get enough horses on the back to plane her out, but not much more than that to keep fuel prices down. With your shallow draft you can hit the islands for sure from Vero.

Feb 1, 2007
-Lancer -28 The Sea Of Cortez
Put a 60HP on the back and FORGET the mast! Why do you want a mast? They are SUCH a bother!

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
True...actually I'd just LOVE to blow by some powerboaters in a powersailor towing a skier...you could put the sails up just for show! BrianD...think a PS could tow a skier?

Feb 17, 2006
Yes, but not with my T9.9 :D I've seen several Mac26 boats with a rooster tail that'd make a ski boat look like a life raft.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Yes, but not with my T9.9 :D I've seen several Mac26 boats with a rooster tail that'd make a ski boat look like a life raft.

The new Hunter Edge 27...yours for about $50K. The wake board is extra. Somebody should dig up the molds for your 27...if there is a growing market for power sailers again how about one that actually looks like a sailboat. :snooty:

I don't know about you, but I had a couple of fuel price struck power boaters ask me if it was hard to learn how to sail last year.:eek:

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.