Depth, speed and temp tranducer placement

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave Kovach

I recently bought a Raymarine Bidata st40 Speed, depth and temp system for my boat. The problem is the instructions say to place the transducers forward of the swing "keel" to prevent turbulance etc caused by the keel, and also be placed on an area of the hull where the dead rise angle does not exceed 20 degrees. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to place the transducers. Thanks Dave Kovach

C

Curtiss Grant

Transducer

I installed a Pirana (?SP) on my 26 S last summer. I mounted my transducer in the back storage area just behind the original 'hole in hull' transducer and speed indicator. I went to Home Depot, bought a 4" PVC stub end pipe with theads, the cap for it. I epoxy the stub to the hull, mounted the transducer inside the pipe (using wire and screws to suspend the transducer), filled the pipe with water, cut a notch in the cap for the electrical wire, screwed the cap on. Works great. I understand one should use linseed oil instead of water to prevent freezing etc. Good luck

S

Steve Shenkel

Instrument Locations

I placed the depth sounder in the water tank inside the galley. I gained access to the tank by removing the inspection port (for the centerboard pivot bolt) inside the galley. I placed the knot meter in the rear laserette. Although not an ideal location, it usually agrees with the GPS. Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.