Depth gauge

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
I have a Lowrance HDS-5 chart plotter with the transducer epoxied in the forward locker. The original through-hulls for the Standard Horizon sounder that came with the boat will be forcibly removed before the season starts this year. The transducer mount started leaking while we were in the San Juans last summer so it's gotta go!

May 3, 2008
Catalina Capri 22 Half Moon Bay
I have a Standard Horizon with a shoot-through the hull transducer.
(no holes in the hull) It's been trouble free for the most part.

Jul 2, 2013
I keep the gauge and a 12 volt receptacle on the cockpit seat back (I'm sure there is a more nautical name for it) just aft of the traveler cleat where nobody would sit anyway. Makes it quick and easy for me to turn off the alarm when I roll up to the sandbar.

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
Mine's on a RAM swing arm mount in the companionway. I can't reach it from the helm but the Admiral can. The nice thing is that it swings into the cabin so I can monitor it from my bunk when we're anchored out.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
I've been using an Eagle Cuda 300 mounted on the port cabin bulkhead. Convenient until someone wants to sit in front of it. Mostly use it when going into shallow areas so it is not too critical.

The transducer is epoxied on the port bilge just behind the bulkhead. I had it in the bow but it did show more noise in choppy water.

I am planning of getting a Garmin echoMAP 50s (GPS and sounder) this Spring to have a wireless connection with my iPad to quickly send waypoints for identifying the course during racing. Also I plan on doing longer cruising this year and want to have a better GPS than my handheld Garmin Colorado 300c.

I would like to remount the GPS/sounder to a swing out mount to avoid the problem with someone sitting in front of the bulkhead mounted location.