Delaminating Winged Keel

Apr 24, 2014
Catalina Capri 22 Seneca Lake Ohio
I am considering buying a 2007 Capri 22 with a badly delaminating winged keel. In my search for a Capri 22 I've seen photos of many boats. None showed this condition. Apparently the bond between the lead or fibergalass and the epoxy coating has failed. Is this repairable or should I walk away? What could cause it?

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
It depends on the price and your level of risk. And how quickly you want to be sailing.

Most anything should be repairable but it does involve time and effort. Epoxy and fiberglass is fun to work with.

But give us some more information about this particular boat.

Jul 5, 2013
I have a question on the same lines. Is the fin keel completely sealed with fiberglass or is the lower 2/3 just bare lead?

I was told that the PO had done some fairing on the keel, my concern is that he faired it all the way down to the lead. It doesn't seem to affect the sailing, so even if its not normal, I don't know if I would fix it.

Jul 9, 2013
I suspect for the fin keel that they all vary slightly, but with a lead core sheathed in fiberglass. When repairing some front/bottom edge damage from hitting rocks, I ground away a few inches of fiberglass before hitting the encased metal. Once the wound was all cleaned out, I filled with epoxy and filler beads and then wrapped with fiberglass cloth. Better than new when finally faired. The point was that the lead was not squared up or even side to side within the encasing fiberglass, probably depends on the day of the week each keel gets poured/laid/encased.

May 16, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 IL
Dick Shemenski said:
I am considering buying a 2007 Capri 22 with a badly delaminating winged keel. In my search for a Capri 22 I've seen photos of many boats. None showed this condition. Apparently the bond between the lead or fibergalass and the epoxy coating has failed. Is this repairable or should I walk away? What could cause it?
Mine did and its normal for all of these boats to have some issues there. I just ground away until I got to good glass and used fairing compound to get up.

Aug 27, 2013
Don't know about the MK II wing keels whether they are glassed in or not. I had a MK I wing that had a thick coating of something but am not sure what. I had the same problem with delam and I can't quite remember what I used to fair it but it was akin to a marine grade bondo. I had read that the MK I keels were encased with glass but mine did not appear to be. Maybe the fins were. I have a MK II fin that definitely was not coated with anything but paint from the factory.

If your delam is at the hull joint it could be a bigger problem. I would definitely re-torque the keel bolts before I did any repair.

Chris