Defy Your Age Ad

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
I keep seeing this ad in the WSJ and wondering when whoever’s at the helm will throw in a surprise tack and watch that boom knock both of them upside the head and launch them into the drink.
upload_2019-2-2_7-9-6.png

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I don't think they are really on the boat. The angle of perspective, or depth of field, or something, is all wrong to my eye.

To be fair, the woman's right foot would argue against me, as it appears to be cocked to accommodate the gunwhale.

Jan 2, 2017
They’re obviously models, not sailors, and, as you say, maybe not even on the boat at all.
I’ve always been amused by how many ads, mostly by financial services companies, feature happy retirees sails off into the sunset. It’s funny, considering how very few of them actually do that even if they have the money.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
They’re obviously models, not sailors, and, as you say, maybe not even on the boat at all.
I’ve always been amused by how many ads, mostly by financial services companies, feature happy retirees sails off into the sunset. It’s funny, considering how very few of them actually do that even if they have the money.
There was one commercial a few years ago that had the sails trimmed all wrong and the tow line was visible.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Me too. Sailing, sailboats, have been exploited in advertising forever it seems. Every few seasons, LL Bean shoots models in the latest clothing lines along the coast here. Sometimes they charter boats, another time they piled on some classic wooden yachts at the yard in our harbor.

They don't need much, a bit of deck, a little sail, some water, and the essence of 'sail' sells their goods.

Ralph Lauren has long used big billowing sails in their clothing ads. Sail sells everything, except for sailboats it seems.

I googled sailboats in ads and got this one. Sex and sail sells but all I see is the poorly furled mainsail on this boat.

And what is with the dude at the helm? Who helms like that?
sailboat-friends-hed-2016.png

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
When I was that young, I didn't need anything they are advertising that they could improve. Now, I doubt it would help.
But hey, one can always dream that one is on a sailboat looking so suave and cool, dressed in white. I'm surprised that one of them doesn't have a sweater draped on their back with the arms loosely tied around their neck, or is that look no longer cool for the sporty middle-aged couple?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Me too. Sailing, sailboats, have been exploited in advertising forever it seems. Every few seasons, LL Bean shoots models in the latest clothing lines along the coast here. Sometimes they charter boats, another time they piled on some classic wooden yachts at the yard in our harbor.

They don't need much, a bit of deck, a little sail, some water, and the essence of 'sail' sells their goods.

Ralph Lauren has long used big billowing sails in their clothing ads. Sail sells everything, except for sailboats it seems.

I googled sailboats in ads and got this one. Sex and sail sells but all I see is the poorly furled mainsail on this boat.

View attachment 160815
Yep, they even use sailboats to sell power boats. Check this ad for Dodge Boats from 1929.

http://www.atticpaper.com/proddetail.php?prod=1929-dodge-boats-ad

Jan 2, 2017
These ads tend to create stories in one’s mind. Re the Defy Your Age one, I’m thinking that the women is far forward enough to be okay, but the man is in danger, so maybe she’s in cahoots with her secret lover at the helm to get rid of hubby. :)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
A group of SBO members headed out for a daysail on the old girl.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith

View attachment 160815
Sometimes I think they purposely show things in disarray like the sail to subconsciously show the reader that they have been sailing with vigor....